UKC

Ski Goggles - Why & What?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 03 Feb 2014
Do you wear ski goggles? Why? Should I be wearing them? What for? What do they do? Which ones should I buy, if any?

The Internet has failed me, here. None of my favourite sites have anything about them and Google returns only sites trying to sell them.

I'm a new to intermediate level skier. My next trip is a five day trip to Bourg St. Maurice at the end of February. I hope to ski on piste, up to red.

As far as I know, ski goggles would only benefit me by preventing my contacts from drying up in the cold air. Sunglasses would do the same but they're prone to fogging. Also, goggles would look suitably ridiculous, thus helping me blend in with the other tourists.

Please inform me.
 Jonny2vests 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

You can get away with sunnies if conditions are nice, but sunnies won't keep snow out of your eyes.
 TomBaker 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

You should be using either goggles or sunglasses. UV exposure to the eye can cause long term damage to the eye, and the levels that hit the eye are greatly increased both by altitude and snow (it reflects something like 70% of it).

Goggles are much much better than sunglasses. Other good reasons for goggles are as you go faster you're eyes will get snow in them, when you fall over your face will get covered in snow, and when skiing in a snow storm goggles are very nice to have.

If i was to buy some new ones i'd want a set with a double lens (prevents fogging freezing over in very cold conditions.
I'd also be looking for at least cat 2 UV protection.
 kathrync 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I take sunglasses and goggles when I ski.

My sunglasses are quite dark, and I use them about 80% of the time.

Goggle are significantly warmer than sunglasses. If it's really cold out, particularly if there is a biting wind, I usually wear my goggles. As the light is often poor under these conditions, I chose to buy goggles that aren't as dark as my sunglasses.

This means that my goggles also double as being an alternative to my sunglasses that are sometime more appropriate on over-cast days or in flat light even when it isn't baltic.
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> You can get away with sunnies if conditions are nice, but sunnies won't keep snow out of your eyes.

Or the wind blown icy snow, or the bitingly cold winds which can make your eyes water.
Goggles can keep you skiing in conditions where glasses can't, and keep your face warmer.
They can also depending on lenses help in really poor visibility conditions - few folk have glasses with the correct tint for poor conditions. After all you have the glasses for the sun!
They can help prescription glass wearer to ski when they otherwise can't.
If you are suitably flush you can buy goggles with built in camera, phone connections, and I believe head up displays for maps, etc (or is that still in trials?).
 Carolyn 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

As above. Goggles come into their own when you're skiing in a snowstorm, or even just strong winds. Combined with a helmet, they've also great for keeping you warm in those conditions.

I tend to take dark sunglasses for sunny days, and fairly light tinted goggles for yucky days.
 Shapeshifter 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

All the above spot on - basically Goggles much better in poorer weather conditions. You can pay a lot for Goggles, but I've been boarding in a pair of these and they've lasted me for years

http://www.discountedsunglasses.co.uk/oak-gog-02-681hh-oakley-ski-snow-gogg...

london_huddy 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

Having helped stabilise the chunks of sun glasses embedded in a guy's face after he fell, goggles are. Pretty good option for full-time wearing.
 yorkshireman 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

> As above. Goggles come into their own when you're skiing in a snowstorm,

I have two pairs of Goggles - one for bright sun and the other for flat light conditions.

They fit nicely in my helmet and just feel so much more secure. Also, they offer protection if you're in among the trees where you get branches that might thwack you in the face.
 Carolyn 03 Feb 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I have two pairs of Goggles - one for bright sun and the other for flat light conditions.

Definitely an option I'm tempted by now I use a helmet. I've just not got round to buying dark goggles yet.....
 LastBoyScout 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I have Cat 4 sunglasses (Julbo Nomad) for when it's very hot and bright - I like these ones particularly, because they are a good fit around my face and don't let any light in around them (another advantage of goggles over some sunglasses designs) and the arms are comfortable under my helmet.

I have goggles for when it's colder, windier and overcast, as they're a lighter tint. I also tend to wear these in powder, as there's less chance of a face-full of snow or losing them in a crash. Arguably, they protect your face more, too.

Make sure your goggles are twin-lens at the least, with good anti-fog and venting. Both my pairs happen to be Oakley, but there are many other good brands - it's personal preference on style and fit, but, if you wear a helmet, make sure they are compatible.

ark05 03 Feb 2014
I use sunglasses most of the time, but have goggles encase of bad weather conditions. you can pick up some from sports direct for about £10 which seem to work
 Dark-Cloud 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

> Also, goggles would look suitably ridiculous, thus helping me blend in with the other tourists.

> Please inform me.

I will inform you that you won't look ridiculous, the only ridiculous thing is that comment, if you wear a helmet then goggles are not only the most sensible choice but the most comfortable and offer the most protection and what you will see the vast majority of people using.

If you want to wear glasses wear glasses, if you want to wear goggles wear goggles. If you want to buy goggles then buy the ones you like and can afford/justify, simples ?
 Dan Arkle 03 Feb 2014
The £12 decathlon goggles work pretty well.

Another advantage is the sun protection for your skin - no more panda eyes, and just a dollop of suncream needed on the nose.

Olli-C 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I always wear goggles whatever the weather or light conditions. It feels wrong without them now. I think part of it is because I wear a helmet all the time, goggles feel like they extend the protection slightly. I have face planted and my goggles have cracked instead of my nose.It removes a cold spot that would be present between sunglasses and my helmet. Also when I ski through tight trees goggles are definitely safer.

Its been a long time since i skied without a helmet so not sure what its like wearing goggles over a beanie.

Definitely get double lense anti-fog goggles. If you wear a helmet try them on with that, if they're too wide to fit in your helmet it will be annoying, likewise if there is a little gap which gets cold.
 steveliput 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

1) When you go fast it stops your eyes watering
2) UV protection
3) Stops snow spray hitting your face and you getting cold (also linked to falling)

Sunglasses can work in good weather but (i) are rubbish in snowy conditions and (ii) don;t work with a helmet - which I'd recommend really
 yorkshireman 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Helmet and sunglasses look a bit daft in my opinion.

Second the twin lens for anti-fogging - I've got a couple of pairs of Oakleys as I got them when on a trip to the US when the exchange rate was 2:1 so stocked up on cheapish gear. But most budget stuff is decent enough to be honest.

I was XC skiing this morning and when I was gasping for air, my breath was steaming in front of me, and fogging (and freezing) up my sunglasses from the outside. Not such an issue with skiing as you're not working quite so hard but you don't get that with goggles.
In reply to Xharlie:

I like the look of this set, sunglass and goggle

www.sportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/40/polarized-ski-goggles-polarised-sunglasses/1f625fec056ff8c28bd8e3672a1dc610
 B_Mark_W 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

Simple. Get goggles and a helmet. Keeps you warm, keeps you safer, better visibility and is a hell of a lot better for than the sunglasses and beanie combo which is now the tourist attire. It's changed a lot over the years but now you would rarely see many people in North America or NZ without helmet and goggles. I can't comment on Europe as I haven't skied there since the all in one ski suit was the fashion.

A good pair of double lens goggles is a good investment and lasts longer than a cheap pair and general don't suffer the same problems of fogging and scratches problems. I could net recommend the Oakley A Frames more. I'm spent 5 years sking with them and they still work perfectly, minimal scratches and only a bit of sun bleaching.

I've definitely seen what's happens when sunglasses smash on your face and metal frames are an awful idea as they do like to embed themselves.
Srick 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I wouldn't say goggles look ridiculas. Personaly I always have goggles no glasses. I always ski with a helmet so they arnt really compatible with glasses. Ive gone for POC lobes. Great they are. Removable lenses to for different light conditions. Beats having a two set combo, and cheaper!
 sianabanana 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I cannot ride with out them. Without, my eyes keep watering and i feel like my contacts will fly out!

If you dont wear them all the time, you will deffo need some for snowy/bad weather days, So i would suggest your first pair be suitable for low light levels.

I can recommend Bolle vermillion for this - there are many different models/frame shapes. They are good in low light and never fog on me And they can be got for around £20 online.

http://tinyurl.com/oqu4e46

So you dont need to spend a fortune.
 sianabanana 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

Oh and if you can go in to somewhere to try some, i would.

Different shapes can fit/feel different and fit helmets differently.

Depending on your face size, you might find some more comfortable than others.
 GraB 11 Feb 2014
In reply to sianabanana:

Seconded all the positive comments about goggles (warmer, more comfortable, less chance of getting snow behind the lens, safer in trees etc etc). And all those who've said that goggles work better with a helmet than glasses (warmer, look better IMO..).

I also agree entirely with the person who recommended Oakley A frames. I've had two pairs since the late nineties. They last brilliantly well - Two pairs in 15 years.... that's got to be a good investment and you can pick them up off the internet for less than £70 just now, if you're not too fussy about the frame colour or want a fancy lens. The persimmon lens is pretty good for most things, really. Oakley after-sales service is brilliant also, should you ever need it.
 GraB 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Xharlie:
Actually that's much less than two pairs in 15 years, as the current (second) pair are not much more than a couple of years old and will probably be going strong for quite a few years yet.

Rob Exile Ward 11 Feb 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

With goggles you get what you pay for. I have some Adidas ??? (Can't remember the name) the optics are far better than cheapos, they fog less, contrast is better, better coatings reduce glare and sharpen definition (it's true - good coatings filter out the light that wouldn't otherwise focus on the retina, just think about how a prism works, some light gets bent more than others.)

I wear good dark sports sunnies on fine days, and yellow goggles on all other; btw there is a school of thought that suggests polarised are NOT good for winter sports because they have a tendency to flatten features.

Cheap sunnies and goggles e.g. bought from a market stall if they are not UV coated will do your eyes more damage than wearing NO sunnies at all, as the tint allows you pupil to dilate and allow in more UV than they would otherwise. (This is particularly true of kids and kids' sunglasses bought on holiday.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...