UKC

Scotland: 10 Best Beginner's Ski Tours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Feb 2014
scottish ski tours top 10 montage, 3 kbUntracked back country snow and that elusive Scottish powder: Sound good? If you fancy the idea of Scottish ski touring, but you're unsure where to start, then check out these top introductory routes from a keen ski touring duo.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6092
 Doug 03 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

Was about to ask why the Cairngorm 4000s weren't described but then noticed the 'beginners' in the title. Never skied in the Ochils or Pentlands but all the others are good and most can easily be extended.

Could think of some others but alternatives rather than better. Odd not to mention the SMC guidebook, or is it out of print now?
 alasdair19 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Doug:

thanks for the feedback Doug. the smc book has been out of print for a while. work has started on a new one and if you have the time help I think would be appreciated!
In reply to alasdair19:

Nice article. I'd forgotten about the SMC guidebook even though I have it somewhere.

I notice that in one of the shots the skier was using Telemark skis, are these a better bet for typical Scottish conditions or is the traditional ski mountaineering kit better?

Is the Scottish Haute Route going to be included? Has this been repeated? I'd have thought that the last few years would have seen sufficient snow cover.

ALC
Mike Lewis 05 Feb 2014

Very inspiring article - some great photos!
 Doug 05 Feb 2014
In reply to a lakeland climber:

> I notice that in one of the shots the skier was using Telemark skis, are these a better bet for typical Scottish conditions or is the traditional ski mountaineering kit better?

Some of us think so, especially in the east where even relatively light nordic gear is often the best

cwpkay 05 Feb 2014

Me and my main winter climbing partner are both experienced in winter navigation in Scottish winter conditions and both ski to a good standard on piste making light work of reds and trying our hardest down blacks.

We are extremely keen to merge to two and would love to get out and do some of these easy tours. However we don't have any ski touring equipment. What would you suggest is the best way/place to hire equipment and 'give it a go' on a short day tour such as some of the first ones mentioned in this article?

Regards
Chris
 alasdair19 05 Feb 2014
In reply to cwpkay:

You can hire good kit in aviemore and braemar. Mountain spirit and braemar/cairngorm mountain sport. All.tours.described were skied on Nordic kit. I quite like My 45mm wide, massively cambered, fish scaled Rossingols but each to their own....
 Nialld 06 Feb 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Also Tiso in Perth, for hire of alpine touring kit.
 cwpkay 14 Feb 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Thanks, I appreciate they are light but I think I'll try a mountaineering set up first, I think ill be more suited to them as they are similar to what I have used on piste. There's some comical footage at the back end of this video of my first experience of Nordic ski's... enjoy vimeo.com/83758481

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...