UKC

Austrian hut to hut walks for children.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone recommend a 2-3 day walk hut to hut in Austria suitable for kids aged 5 and 7. Both done a handful of Munros and are hardy but obviously needs to be non technical. Looking for good hut ambience and to get a couple of nights out of our campervan. Another option is a good hut worth staying in for a couple of nights with day walks.

I just don't know the regions there at all!! We'll be travelling south through Bavaria >Innsbruck and on to Arco then a few weeks later probably north via Salzburg.

Any good wee crags with really easy stuff too!

Any info appreciated.

Graeme
 Andy Manthorpe 04 Feb 2014
In reply to graeme gatherer:

Can they cope with big drops on narrow paths that have a hand wire along one side ?
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Not really what we had in mind!
 James Edwards 04 Feb 2014

The cicerone alpine walking guides give good ideas. We only did day trips up to huts unfortunately as our 3 year old would have disturbed others in a dorm.
We were thinking of going again but heading a bit further east than Austria (where we were last time). Poland and Slovakia looked to have good options for hut to hut walking with small children we thought. They may be quite chilled out about campervan wild camping as well, but I do remember Poland having some draconian rules connected with the national parks.
James e
 Andy Manthorpe 05 Feb 2014

No steep drops - Ok so that rules out the Kaisergebirge. I asked as I have met many Austrian families walking there with their children on a short rope.

The Stubaital would probably fit the bill. There is a nine day hut to hut loop walk which you could select a section of. There is a very good bus service down in the valley to get you back to your starting point.

Search for Stubaier hoehenweg. A summary is included in the Cicerone guide "Walking in Austria" by Kev Reynolds. The book could also possibly give you some other ideas.

Andy
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Thanks folks
Will check out the Cicerone book. Just needing some ideas of quite where to head for. Coffee and a perusal of the guidebooks in Perth Tisos for me this afternoon then!
 navigator 05 Feb 2014
Can recommend very highly the south side of the Virgental in the Hohe Tauren. The Zupalsee hut has a really great location, with as its name implies, its very own small lake. It is possible to get a Huttentaxi to the Wetterkreuz Hut ( no accommodation). Taxi very worthwhile as the ascent is largely on motorable forest tracks and children woul find it an eternity and quickly get bored. The route on from the Wetterkreuz to the Zupalsee takes 2 hours. Great views across the valley to the big mountains of the Gross Venediger.

Next day move on to the Lasoerling Hut which is 3 hours of gentle walking. A fantastic hut in another great location. The following day you could either return to the valley or move on to the Bergersee Hut and the to the valley the next day.

This is a wonderful outing which my wife did with her children many years ago and we returned there recently and greatly enjoyed the trip. Worth mentioning the excellent outdoor pool in Virgental. You could easily spend a day there and it is not expensive.

For more info, a good place to start is www.virgental.at - all in German I am afraid.
 navigator 05 Feb 2014

Also try http://www.osttiroler-hoehenwege.at/lasoerling-hoehenweg/index.php

Again all in German. Happy to help if required.
In reply to navigator:

Thanks, sounds ideal!
 Toerag 06 Feb 2014

It's a nice walk from the Vogelbahn cablecar to the Landsberger hutte with multiple picturesque tarns, but I can't vouch for the paths beyond. They would enjoy the Hollentalklamm gorge by Garmisch, and the path from there to the Alpspitze cablecar is child-friendly too. You could do hollentalklamm one day, path above the next, and cablecar to the Zugspitze with funicular or cablecar back down the next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...