UKC

Uncle's Computer Woes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 05 Feb 2014
Following on from my earlier thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=576788&v=1#x7653849
I sat with him on Sunday while he accessed his on line account. He wanted to transfer some money from one account to another and he went through the process ok and a message confirmed that the transfer had been successful. I even got him to look at the revised amounts shown in each account summary.
He phoned last night and we asked him if he'd tried to get into his account again. He said he had but was adamant that the money had not been transferred.
Now I occasionally transfer money between my online accounts and I know that, except maybe when you're transferring it to a different bank, the transfer is instant. I also know what I saw on his screen on Sunday
I just don't know what's happening.(Maybe with him)
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:
surely this is nothing to do with his computer, this is a job for the banks online banking helpline
Post edited at 10:36
OP FesteringSore 05 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I don't even think it's a query for the bank because I definitely saw the transfer go across and confirmed; in fact we checked it twice on Sunday. I'm totally flummoxed.
Not read other thread sorry, but can you set up phone banking for him instead, or would it just be easier for you to get the authority to operate the bank account online? Power of Intromit if required but often just a authorisation letter from your Uncle will keep the bank happy.

> I don't even think it's a query for the bank because I definitely saw the transfer go across and confirmed; in fact we checked it twice on Sunday. I'm totally flummoxed.

If it went, then it is a matter for the bank. Was it returned for some reason?
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> If it went, then it is a matter for the bank. Was it returned for some reason?

No
Probably the easist option is for him to revert to paper banking. I'm seriously wondering if he DID actually look at his account again. I'm afraid he's pretty hopeless.
Post edited at 10:48
If it went and not returned, then it must be your uncle.
Is your uncle of sound mind? Could he be using this as an excuse to speak to family?

> If it went and not returned, then it must be your uncle.

> Is your uncle of sound mind? Could he be using this as an excuse to speak to family?

See my 10:47 post :0(
Post edited at 10:49
Had a read over the other thread. Ok you do not want to be involved directly. Given this and your other comments, then personally I think you are in a no win situation. He will keep calling and it will remain a problem. I would suggest even if paper banking, it will be an issue as I hazard a guess that it is nothing to do with the banking purely itself. Out with my knowledge so I'll not comment further, but I "admitted defeat" for many admin type personal stuff with my mother year's ago and now find it easier to just do what's needed. Good luck.
 Neil Williams 05 Feb 2014

What bank?

If it's the Co-op/Smile and one is an ISA, transfers bounce in that manner if you have used your annual ISA allowance. You don't get notified, the money just goes into limbo for a day then reappears where it came from.

Other banks might work the same way.

Neil
 tony 05 Feb 2014

> Following on from my earlier thread:

> I sat with him on Sunday while he accessed his on line account. He wanted to transfer some money from one account to another and he went through the process ok and a message confirmed that the transfer had been successful. I even got him to look at the revised amounts shown in each account summary.

> He phoned last night and we asked him if he'd tried to get into his account again. He said he had but was adamant that the money had not been transferred.

Why is he adamant the money hasn't been transferred? If you're sure the transfer was made, it may be that he's not looking in the right place and needs to be told how to get to the right place.
In reply to Climbing Pieman: Thanks; I really just wanted to "get it off my chest"

In reply to Neil Williams:
> What bank?

> If it's the Co-op/Smile and one is an ISA, transfers bounce in that manner if you have used your annual ISA allowance. You don't get notified, the money just goes into limbo for a day then reappears where it came from.

> Other banks might work the same way.
Thanks but for reasons I'd prefer not to mention I do know it's not a bank issue.

Post edited at 11:02
In reply to tony:

> Why is he adamant the money hasn't been transferred? If you're sure the transfer was made, it may be that he's not looking in the right place and needs to be told how to get to the right place.

I think that might be part of the problem
 TomBaker 05 Feb 2014

Just scanned the other thread I've not read it properly.

It sounds a lot to me like he just wants some human contact. If he is recently bereaved that seems fairly likely.
Just talked him through going into his account. He now agrees that the transfer has been made.

Thanks for comments and advice.

You could always use Teamviewer to watch what he is doing from your own computer to help him work his own way through using computers.

This is what I do with my parents.
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

> You could always use Teamviewer to watch what he is doing from your own computer to help him work his own way through using computers.

> This is what I do with my parents.

Yes, I've thought of that.
 RockAngel 05 Feb 2014

It sounds like your uncle has no confidence in using the computer. Age concern run classes to learn how to use the internet and helps him get out of the house, as well as not having you to go through each bit step by step repeatedly. The classes are usually free too!
My mum is ok on the internet but needs an idiot guide to do anything on it. She wants to sell some things on eBay but won't until I show her how to list an item. It's really one of the simplest things to do but she's scared of it. It's driving me up the wall because she's been using the internet for 10 years and should have more confidence in her ability by now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...