UKC

burlesque.....wot's it all about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 05 Feb 2014
What are your views on this?

Is it an art form, a bit of titillation or something else?
 Richard Carter 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Bit of both I guess.
 Dauphin 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

educated gals gettin their norks out innit

d
In reply to The Lemming:

Neither. It is like buying a sandwich for lunch and then staring at it whilst it remains in the box then leaving the room hungry and poorer.

Better off buying GTA V
 ripper 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

a gift from god, just accept it graciously and don't ask awkward questions!
 Tall Clare 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Widely known as 'middle-class striptease'. Lots of women embracing it as participants or observers and attaching a 'feminist' label to it, which I'm not entirely convinced by.
 ti_pin_man 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
largely it seems to be averagly attractive women taking their clothes off. A bit like watching dads army at times. I cant explain that last sentance.
Post edited at 11:31
OP The Lemming 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I know this will be like poking a wasps nest with a small pointy stick, but how can this attract a feminist label?

Pro feminist or anti feminist?

I could see an argument for anti, but my brain hurts thinking that this is getting a Pro Feminist free pass.
 Tall Clare 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Pro-feminist - women empowering themselves, reclaiming their bodies, subverting the male gaze. I'm sceptical...
 ThunderCat 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
I remember an episode of the Simpsons where homer goes on holiday sends marge a psotcard with a picture of Dita von Tesse on the front, with the message "Wish you were her" scrawled beneath.
Post edited at 12:40
 Choss 05 Feb 2014
In reply to ti_pin_man:

> largely it seems to be averagly attractive women taking their clothes off. A bit like watching dads army at times. I cant explain that last sentance.

Thanks for that. Now i cant stop thinking of Mainwaring, Pike, Hodges, Fraser, et al, Dancing Burlesque in stockings, Basques, etc. Its not an image im enjoying.
 Skyfall 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It must be an art form because it certainly isn't titillating (or maybe that's just me).
 Alyson 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It's a bit of both, but mostly it's tongue-in-cheek camp silliness.
 Clarence 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Not just you, I found it boring and extremely expensive. I now use the excuse that it is against my religion, seems to get me out of going to such things without argument.
Removed User 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> Not just you, I found it boring and extremely expensive. I now use the excuse that it is against my religion, seems to get me out of going to such things without argument.

Were you watching or performing?
 Baron Weasel 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I didn't know what it meant but have heard it before... Thanks for the post lemming as it prompted me to search engine it
 John_Hat 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Pro-feminist - women empowering themselves, reclaiming their bodies, subverting the male gaze. I'm sceptical...

At a recent burlesque night the ladies in the party were all keen to go and see the burlesque (and went) and the blokes (including me) opted for going to the pub.

We did kind of think about this and wonder why we were totally uninterested in seeing a load of women taking their clothes off and that we preferred to go to the pub for pool, drinks and an epic catch-up and setting the world to rights and decided that since we were all spoken for and mostly married the prospect of women taking their clothes off was something we saw more or less every night but a good game of pool came around once in a blue moon...
 Dave Ferguson 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Art? I'm not so sure but the Benidorm Burlesque show is a must for any Costa Blanca climbing trip!
 The New NickB 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I remember seeing a fancy banner strung across the river in Hebden Bridge advertising a burlesque festival, some wit had strung a tatty old sheet beneath it with the words "middle class lap dancing" painted on it.

It amused me, probably more than it should have!
OP The Lemming 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I seem to recall Burlesque being banned in Hebden Bridge a year or two ago because it was a bit racey.
 Tall Clare 05 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I've just googled and lo and behold, you're right - and there's even a picture of the bedsheet Nick mentions! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23255096
In reply to The Lemming:

What's the etiquette at Burlesque, are you allowed to knock one out?
 wilkie14c 06 Feb 2014
In reply to ti_pin_man:
> A bit like watching dads army at times. I cant explain that last sentance.

"Whats your name big big boy?"

"don't tell her Pike!"
 ThunderCat 06 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> What's the etiquette at Burlesque, are you allowed to knock one out?

Nah, you'll definately get thrown out by the bouncers if you start punching the dancers hard enough to render them unconcious
 The New NickB 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I've just googled and lo and behold, you're right - and there's even a picture of the bedsheet Nick mentions! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23255096

I find it significantly less amusing now I know it was a serious campaign.
 Mike Stretford 06 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming: It is what it appears to be, a mix of erotica and vintage fashion performed by women mostly for women. Bugger all to do with class.
OP The Lemming 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I've just googled and lo and behold, you're right -

Those Yorkshire people are quite funny. Here is a county with a fairly higher than average helping of infamous mass murderers and the like, yet they get a bit prudish with forty something ladies jiggling
 ripper 06 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Don't forget it was also the Yorkies (Rylstone branch of Women's Institure IIRC) that kicked off the whole 'tastefully naked' charity calendar craze.
 Bulls Crack 06 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Relative;y popular roundabout here. It's err empowering apparently and not at all objectifying because its on the performers own terms.......
In reply to ripper:

North Yorkshire though, the shadow dwellers in the West Riding, can like their cousins dwelling in the shadow on the other side of the hill can be a little taken with fear of damnation.
 ripper 06 Feb 2014

didn't stop the ladies of Todmorden Cancer Research 'doing a WI'...
In reply to ripper:

Probably not the same ladies as those campaigning against burlesque in Hebden
OP The Lemming 06 Feb 2014

> Probably not the same ladies as those campaigning against burlesque in Hebden

NOT WORK SAFE

Here is Miss Bang Tidy of the Hebden Bridge event. I've never really seen any Burlesque but is this a fair representation?

If so, I think I'll give it a miss.

http://www.bangtidyburlesque.co.uk/page_2596432.html

youtube.com/watch?v=1cDx85Sn98Y&

youtube.com/watch?v=5VjD_wUnZEo&

jkarran 06 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It's an evening of entertainment if you enjoy it, a dreary waste of time and money if you don't.

I'm fairly ambivalent but my girlfriend enjoys it. That said, a pair of stripping Christmas reindeer were pretty amusing, who knew reindeer wore nipple tassels!

jk
 Bulls Crack 06 Feb 2014

> I remember seeing a fancy banner strung across the river in Hebden Bridge advertising a burlesque festival, some wit had strung a tatty old sheet beneath it with the words "middle class lap dancing" painted on it.

> It amused me, probably more than it should have!

Yes, that was a local cause celebre! What they should have done I thought was put .com after '...dancing'.
 Flinticus 07 Feb 2014
In reply to jkarran:

Kinda my position too. My wife & a female friend went to one a few months back & really enjoyed it, had a laugh.

I think my position will firm up soon enough as I'm going with her to an event for Valentines.
In reply to Flinticus:

> I think my position will firm up soon enough as I'm going with her to an event for Valentines.

Fnaaarrrr!

Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from B&Q'?
 Oceanrower 07 Feb 2014
In reply to ripper:

> Don't forget it was also the Yorkies (Rylstone branch of Women's Institure IIRC) that kicked off the whole 'tastefully naked' charity calendar craze.

Apparently they're about to start filming a remake of "Calendar Girls"

It's going to be very tastefully shot, with nothing on display below the waist.

So no nipple shots then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...