UKC

Fast compact with manual control?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 05 Feb 2014
I had my recently purchased Nikon P310 nicked while on holiday last week and am looking for a replacement. If I can get another of the same, all well and good but if I can't, what else should I consider as alternatives?

Full manual control and a fast lens are crucial.(the P310 had an f/1.8 which was excellent in low light) RAW shooting not fussed about.
In reply to Fraser:

The Nikon is only £220 on Amazon at the moment.
 Kai 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Lumix LX7

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7

Sony RX100 ii

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-358...

My favorite pocket camera (not as fast of a lens, but superior image quality) Ricoh GR

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr
 SethB 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I love my Ricoh GX200 (24mm-72mm zoom version of the also lovely GR mentioed above) but it died recently and isn't up to scratch compared more recent 'serious' compacts, especially with noise in low light. You can still get good GX200's on eBay

After much comparison I got a Canon G15 (available for £200 ish if you're lucky since the G16 has replaced and is very expensive). You can try a G16 in a store to decide - I didn't find it noticeably different to the G15 (which'd be way cheaper online) so it's a fair comparison.

Bit bulkier but very good still, handles nicely (not as ergonomic as the GR but way better than anything else I compared: "handles ok with one hand with gloves" was an important criteria for obvious reasons), absolutely cracking fast lens (f 1.8-2.8: note how it's still really good at the 140mm equiv of the zoom), great re. image quality & features & usability. Like the GX & GR, has a slightly larger sensor than standard compacts, which makes a difference.
OP Fraser 06 Feb 2014
In reply to SethB and others:

Thanks for this. The G15 certainly loks very good value if I could sourrce one for £200 which is probably going to be my approximate budget, assuming the BMC insurance pays out appropriately.

The P310 was slightly too small for my liking, so something a wee bit bigger wouldn't be a show-stopper.

I think the Lumix is sadly too expensive, despite looking like a very decent camera, but thanks for the suggestions.

Sony I always find a bit 'quirky' and usually have their pwn peculiar ways of doing things but I realise their kit is usually pretty decent so wouldn't necessarily rule them out.

Any more contenders out there?
 Kai 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Fraser:
If the Lumix LX7 is too expensive, the LX5 is also a very good camera, that you can likely find at a much more reasonable price. I used a LX5 for years, and found it to be an excellent camera.

They are available on ebay for good prices.
Post edited at 15:01
 Richard Carter 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Fraser:

The LX7 is ace (IMO)
OP Fraser 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

I don't doubt it! Couldn't lend me a couple of hundred could you please?

In reply to Fraser: All my photos form the last few years have been from an LX3 - it's a great wee camera and it's been improved every iteration.

Solid, fairly weatherproof (I take it winter climbing, ice climbing, skiing etc.) and it's never missed a beat. So, what I'm saying is LX5 is probably a good bet!

OP Fraser 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

Just read that the LX 5 doesn't shoot full HD video, which unfortunately rules it out for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...