UKC

Peak this weekend- optimistic?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spidermonkey09 05 Feb 2014
I'm taking heart from the fact that its going to be so windy the showers might blow through and we can actually get some climbing done. Am I an idiot?
 peaterpan 05 Feb 2014
In reply to spidermonkey09:

I like your optimism pal
 abr1966 05 Feb 2014

I'm just down the road from windgather and its very very wet and forecast for more!
 teddy_simmon 05 Feb 2014

I'm in Buxton and would be amazed if you find somewhere dry!!
 Offwidth 06 Feb 2014
There is always a chance. Last weekend was a medium range poor forecast with a potential full washout and yet in the Halifax area you could climb to mid afternoon on saturday (lucky as the shower systems went both sides) and it was good if cold on sunday. Expect the worst but be in a position to take advantage if things turn out better than you expect.
Post edited at 11:14
 ByEek 06 Feb 2014
In reply to teddy_simmon:

> and would be amazed if you find somewhere dry!!

I would be even more amazed if you found somewhere dry and sheltered. I would imagine that parts of Stanage might dry out in the wind, but by-jove - you wouldn't want to climb there in this wind. Your hands would drop off by the time you got to the top and you would die of hypothermia at the top whilst belaying your second.
 alooker 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Yup, last Sunday was a good day to be out. To the OP - have something lined up for when it's soaked, but come prepared to make quick alternative plans if the weather plays ball. Good luck!
 The Pylon King 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Yep i agree, its almost always possible to find dry rock if you use yer loaf!
 Ablewings 06 Feb 2014

You might want to try Horseshoe Quarry, I climbed on Sunday(2nd). A bit more protection from the wind and most of the faces had dried. Still a very cold day.

Callum
In reply to The Pylon King:

Thats the attitude I'm going with! With a few bouldering mats and some definitive guidebooks we'll find something to get on

Horseshoe is always a good shout as it dries so quick, but went there a few weeks back and the looseness and griminess of routes not on the Main Wall was a real shock. Better than inside though! Cheers
 The Pylon King 06 Feb 2014

Yeah, lack of seepage and exposed to the wind are good attributes to look out for.
 CurlyStevo 06 Feb 2014
I've found grit is not as quick drying when the humidity is high and the temperature low. Personally I wouldn't be bothering with this weekend in the peak. Saturday looks like a washout and judging by the amount of overnight rain forecast Saturday it could be pretty late in the day before the rock dries, that's if it dries. However I live a four hour drive away so my priorities probably differ from yours. But good luck anyways.

Post edited at 15:12
 imkevinmc 06 Feb 2014

Forecast gusting 90 mph on the top.

I'm off to Argos to buy a kite
 CurlyStevo 06 Feb 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:
60 mph gusts and 2/3 degrees at high neb sat / sun on met office or you choose a sheltered location and the rock just won't be getting enough wind to dry (that's assuming it dries at high neb!). I think its going to be very hard getting any worthwhile climbing in in the peak this weekend!
Post edited at 15:34
In reply to CurlyStevo:

You are probably right but trip planned and hut booked for ages so going anyway, just bring a load of booze
 paul mitchell 06 Feb 2014

Stoney Padme area was dry last Sunday,though Minus Ten was minging.
 Timmd 06 Feb 2014
> You are probably right but trip planned and hut booked for ages so going anyway, just bring a load of booze

That's the spirit, and games like Call My Bluff and Pass The Bomb, both good games for when drink is involved.

Pass The Bomb.

http://www.brightminds.co.uk/pass-the-bomb/p1750?source=froogle&utm_source=...

Call My Bluff.

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/gameshowclub/callmybluffrules.html
Post edited at 22:33
 Timmd 06 Feb 2014

I don't drink but people seem to get rowdier and more competitive, which is always good...
 Graeme Hammond 06 Feb 2014

If its wet, which is looking likely the Hope Valley Adventure Film Festival might be of interest on Saturday

http://www.hvaff.co.uk/
 Offwidth 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Sheffield forecast is still dry in the morning on sat. Plenty of places will have shelter from the wind if you know where to look. Sunday is still sunshine and showers. The chances of doing something remain improved over the view from a few days back. Leek looks better sunday pm. Forecasts in detail will almost certainly change as predicting the timing and range of showers is almost impossible.
 Si dH 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Saturday morning had good conditions for bouldering at rhs, wind dried things before 10am although you needed to be wrapped up warm. Anyone been out today?
 deacondeacon 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Si dH:

Didn't get out today but Wharnecliffe was dry on Saturday. Very windy but suprisingly not too cold.
 teapot 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Si dH:

I got out on Western Grit yesterday PM. Rock that was exposed to the wind was dry, with the exception of a few holds. Newstones has a few dry problems and then I popped across to The Roaches and got some nice slabs climbed on the Boba and neighbouring boulder.

BrainoverBrawn 10 Feb 2014

Froggatt was good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...