UKC

newbie training question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
streetfighterjeff 06 Feb 2014
guys and gals, as a newbie getting back into climbing and not having done any exercise as such (although i do a lot of walking and clambering around at work) for a while, what would be the best sort of stuff to do when i am not climbing? I've given up smoking, mostly, and cutting back on the beer, but i want to get rid of the small belly and work on my general fitness and strength. i do have a lesiure centre nearby with a weight room/gym. any advice would be great.
jeff
In reply to streetfighterjeff:

I'm going to be rather general here - do something that isn't boring (like treadmills). Cycling is good fun, running offroad is too. I would avoid the gym and just climb more too
streetfighterjeff 06 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

what shoes would you wear for offroad running? approach shoes or trainers? like i say i'm well out of the fitness bit.
jeff
you'd get away with road trainers on gravel tracks/fire roads in forests etc.
if you want to head over a muddy fell for instance, you might need some more aggressive soles
Post edited at 19:20
Simos 06 Feb 2014

What's your aim? To just get fit or get as good in climbing as possible? If the latter, I wouldn't necessarily choose climbing or even running unless you are doing it to lose weight. I personally find gyms very boring but the reality is that there are tonnes of exercises you could do in the gym that would help with climbing.

If you do hit the gym, remember to not just work back/biceps/forearms. Core strength would probably be the #1 area I would focus on followed by all the muscles not used so much in climping (chest, triceps etc) - this will keep your body balanced and allow you to climb harder/more frequently without injuries.

If there is a yoga (or failing that) pilates class near you then do that (assuming you enjoy it); flexibility, balance and body awareness are all important in climbing and you will also be reducing the chances of injuries.
Removed User 07 Feb 2014
Getting on a bike or running is good for your general fitness. Improving your cardiovascular fitness helps with climbing, particularly as your breathing is easier during exertion when you're fitter. Simply put. Better breathing gets more oxygen into the blood.
Get on the rock as often as you can and you'll notice improvements.
Have fun.
streetfighterjeff 07 Feb 2014

thanks guys, all the training will be for my climbing, which will improve my fitness as well. have to have a look out for yoga or pilates.
jeff
 UKB Shark 07 Feb 2014

If you are training for climbing then pull ups and deadhanging should be your meat and veg when you can't go climbing.

Andy Hardy 07 Feb 2014

Climbing is not a CV sport. Running and cycling will be better than sitting on the couch, but not as good as climbing. Going to the gym is better than sitting on the couch, but not as good as climbing. If you live (or work) near a decent wall, buy a pass and just get more mileage in bouldering / traversing / routes if you can.

Lifts and Partners on here might get you a training partner so you can share lifts etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...