UKC

If Scotland gains independence...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blobb 06 Feb 2014
If Scotland gains independence will the SNP supporters still be part of UKC? I say no.

Maybe they should go now and close the door behind themselves.
Tim Chappell 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:
>I say no.

Surely they'll only have to leave if this site renames itself rUKC?

Post edited at 21:08
Blobb 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Maybe it could be EWNI.com

Easy: call it Scotland and United Kingdom Climbing - SUKC.com
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

That domain is already taken....oops, err...I think
 Cardi 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

Surely the rUK will have to become 'The Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland' as 'United' only came about in 1707 when Scotland joined. Perhaps GBNIclimbing or GBIclimbing (if this is the main site for Irish climbing) would be less confusing.
KevinD 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Cardi:
> (In reply to Blobb)
>
> Surely the rUK will have to become 'The Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland' as 'United' only came about in 1707 when Scotland joined.

no it didnt.
Its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland.
Jim C 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

> If Scotland gains independence will the SNP supporters still be part of UKC? I say no.

> Maybe they should go now and close the door behind themselves.

What about the many people who may favour and vote for independence, but are not SNP supporters?

Remember, once independent , ( if it happens) Scotland can vote in any party they want, the SNP do not automatically get to be the government.
Blobb 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> What about the many people who may favour and vote for independence, but are not SNP supporters?

Many? That should read few.

I don't think I have met a single non SNP pro better apart person who is not an SNP supporter.

Jim C 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

> Many? That should read few.

> I don't think I have met a single non SNP pro better apart person who is not an SNP supporter.

As I have said on here before, I am undecided, so I will tell you after the vote if you have 'met' a non SNP Indy voter. either way I am not a SNP voter or supporter. not keen on Salmond, but that does not mean I don't think he would run rings round Cameron in a debate.
( and not everyone is keen to say how they will vote either I have found)

It may depend where you live in Scotland who you meet. Are you in a Conservative area ?
Blobb 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Lib Dem. But I can't see that lasting too long.

Salmond may be able to run rings round Cameron in a debate but...

One thing that does worry me is what will manifest from the 1-2m No voters who could find themselves being deprived of their birthright, ie British citizenship.
 aln 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

> If Scotland gains independence will the SNP supporters still be part of UKC? I say no.

> Maybe they should go now and close the door behind themselves.

Guess what? Lots of people who participate in UKC live in countries not part of the UK. Bloody foreigners!
Blobb 06 Feb 2014
In reply to aln:

Guess what? How many? 1%? Maybe.
 The Potato 06 Feb 2014
In reply to dissonance:

> no it didnt.

> Its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland.

Ah the disunited kingdom

aln 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

> Guess what? How many? 1%? Maybe.

Where did you get that figure from? Are you throwing out every non UK contributor to UKC and closing the doors on them?
 Jim Fraser 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:

What if Cumbria comes with us?
 butteredfrog 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> What if Cumbria comes with us?

and Lancashire!
 Bruce Hooker 07 Feb 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

> and Lancashire!

Anything for a share in the oil cake

Yorkshire too perhaps.. unless they get their oil shale cake in the oven before hand. This oil is a bit like winning the Premium Bonds, the answer to all our problems for many.
Tim Chappell 07 Feb 2014

There was a post from "Redacted" on the other thread that at first I laughed at, but on reflection I don't think I should let it go. She said this, in reply to MG:

Is English a race?
No.
Do you have no sense of humour?
Yes.

The idea that being racist is a joke, that anyone who objects to it is being humourless, is wearisomely familiar.
But this idea that you can't be racist against the English because the English are not a race--that's a new one on me.

I wonder if Redacted has noticed that, in any sense in which the English aren't a race, the Scots aren't either.

I wonder if she's noticed that strictly speaking "black" is not a race. (The Zulus aren't the same race as the Ghanaians or the West Indians.) Doesn't seem to stop people managing to be racist against black people, does it?

All of this would be funny, except that it's not; it's deeply worrying.
ccmm 07 Feb 2014
Are the English or Scots a race (or races)? Or are we local populations made up of variety of ethnicities with cultural histories?
Post edited at 11:52
 teflonpete 07 Feb 2014

> I wonder if she's noticed that strictly speaking "black" is not a race. (The Zulus aren't the same race as the Ghanaians or the West Indians.)

Go careful on that one Tim, check out the origin of black people in the West Indies. Not our finest hour.
TOS 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:
> (In reply to Jim C)
>
> One thing that does worry me is what will manifest from the 1-2m No voters who could find themselves being deprived of their birthright, ie British citizenship.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Fat Bumbly2 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb:
Pleased to meet you Mr Blobb.
 Bruce Hooker 07 Feb 2014

I thought all humans were the same race, homo sapiens sapiens? It's true that one wonders about the sapiens bit quite often.
 Jim Fraser 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> Yorkshire too perhaps..

Now you're taking things too far Bruce!
 Bruce Hooker 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> Now you're taking things too far Bruce!

When there's cake involved they don't need asking twice

In fact why not have all of Britain involved to have a share of the oil bonanza, that would be even better? Funny no one's thought of that.
 Banned User 77 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Blobb: Scottish news.. all about Scottish athletes in the Olympics and medal hopes.. if english areas ignored the rest and just reported english athletes.. the others wouldnt have moan on...

It's GB.. for now.. you dont want to cause splits.. and I ran for GB with welsh, scots and english; there was never a mention of our home countries like that it was just GB..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...