UKC

highball boulders and solo routes,difference?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ban1 07 Feb 2014
I don't understand the fine line between a highball boulder and soloing.

I see some highball boulder problems on videos and think that he/she could place protection in various places. as im not on the boulder itself I can't can't make that judgement.
what do you guys/girls think would it take something away from what you do having a rope drag up behind you?
those who highball surely solo, your looking at severe injury from the fall anyways

kwoods 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:
Whether it's a boulder problem or a route doesn't really change anything, the distinction is only in the grade it's given. If someone takes a rope up a high boulder it doesn't change anything for me personally (sometimes just the sensible option!). Perhaps some would rather fall onto a sea of mats.. who knows?
Post edited at 09:45
 Blackmud 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

The line is so fine it doesn't exist. I've happily pottered about bouldering on grit with my yorkshire gritstone bouldering book, only to come on UKC to see climbs listed as trad climbs, with all the pictures being of people trad climbing. Horses for courses, climbing is enjoyable, use whatever style you enjoy and are comfortable with.
 ianlaw 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Bouldering - wearing a beanie

Solo - not wearing a beanie
OP Ban1 07 Feb 2014
In reply to ianlaw:
> Bouldering - wearing a beanie

> Solo - not wearing a beanie

is that the rule of thumb
 Offwidth 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Adjectival grade is normally sans mats. Simples.
 ianlaw 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

It's known as the rule of beanie.

I have actually wondered this myself, as some routes I have done come up on UKC as boulder problems and routes next door come up as solo routes. This crag is a good example.... http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=19061
 Enty 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

Depends on the first ascensionist. Look at hard bastard Pete Robins' new highball 8a on the lleyn.
A Peaky headpointer would easily give that E9

E
 Offwidth 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

Examples of such E9 routes please? Pete did author Curbar remember.
 Jon Stewart 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Ban1:

I climb routes the way I think I'll get the most out of it. Me and a mate climbed the same route one day, I did it with a pad (cause I don't mind falling off the start moves a couple of times and like the buzz of the soloing above), she did it with a rope (she didn't fall off the start moves and got stressed out placing gear in a strenuous position above).

I thought it was a great highball, she thought it was a great route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...