UKC

To buy or not to buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nevis_Ben 07 Feb 2014
Hello

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on whether buying a set of K2 way back skis is a good idea. I'm pretty much a novice at skiing. I've been on the pistes a couple of times and last time out I felt it starting to come together. I seemed to be able to get my parallel turns in and was relying less on snowplough for turns and stopping.

My aim is to get into cross country skiing and I'd like to start buying kit to save on rental costs. Would the K2 Wayback skis be a wise purchase for me? They are a backcountry ski but would they still be good for the days I'll no doubt spend on the piste developing confidence and ability?

I've seen a 2013 pair for £170 size 181cm. I'm 6'2"and weigh 85kg.

Any guidance and thoughts much appreciated. I'd hate to spend cash on the wrong setup!

http://m.edgeandwax.co.uk/741459/products/k2-wayback-2014-mens-skis--skis-o...
 steveej 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

By cross country do you mean touring/randonee?

If so, you need to fit build in the cost of touring bindings, skins, couteaux and touring boots. Your looking at minimum £1,000+.

I ski the waybacks. They nice and light for the uphill but they need to be skied well on the downhill because theyre very noodley, not stable at speed, and chatter like crazy on hardpack.

If you only want one ski, I would opt for a heavier ski.

Mr Powly 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

Although if you do end up buying them you can get them much cheaper at sport-conrad.com

They also have a very good price on K2 backups at the moment - more of an all round ski though still light.
 Gael Force 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

If you buy the lot from Sport Conrad as a package you will save 50% on UK prices. It costs £30 roughly for postage.
Haven't tried that ski, but wouldn't go for anything narrower underfoot, they might be a little long for your ability.
 daWalt 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

you in Dundee?
take a trip to Braemar and have a proper look at all the kit and what's available,
the folk that run Braemar Mountain Sports know a thing or two
 Pina 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

As with steveej's comment, look into the full package cost before buying. Bear in mind that if you get a good set of bindings (dynafit) you'll need boots to fit and those won't go with normal piste bindings.

From the sounds of it you're looking for an allrounder which the wayback won't be too bad for. The issue with a do all ski is compromise. Ideally you would get a pair of light skis which are nice and wide for touring and a heavier with more forgiveness for piste. I personally wouldn't get anything thinner or shorter but it's dependent on the type of skiing you're doing (crusty, powder, piste).
OP Nevis_Ben 07 Feb 2014
In reply to steveej:

Thanks all for the comments. Maybe I'll wait until I can get advice from a shop. I'm visiting aviemore this weekend so no shortage of opportunity there. Have hired a touring ski set up so me and a mate are off to get in amongst it on the Cairngorms!

Thanks again.
aligibb 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

Hi Ben.

I wouldn't rush into buying skis with a touring set up just yet as there is a big difference between skiing on piste and then off piste/touring which is quite often in sh!tty snow for at least some of it.
So your parallel turns need to be bombproof even on steep slopes in all types of snow - that means icy, bumpy and powdery as well as nice and smooth first thing in the morning.

I think 181 will probably be too long for you right now, but once you get into skiing powder it'll probably be about the right length. If you go too long too early you are just making it much harder for yourself, and technique wise you will hold yourself back.

The first bit of kit to buy is boots, as your own will fit much better than some rental ones, and this will make a bigger difference to your skiing ability. but again I wouldn't rush into buying any as right now you will need some that are fairly soft, but as you get better you'll want some stiffer ones to help you stay stable at the higher speeds you'll be travelling at.

So in a nutshell buying too soon is a false economy as you will progress out of your kit. Buying stiff boots and long skis too soon though will hold you back.
Before you fork out on a touring set up have a go at it a couple times on a couple different pairs of skis and see what you like. Once you feel ready try skiing just off the side of the piste so you get used to skiing different types of snow and see what kind of skis you like.

Hope that helps!

Ali
 Morgan Woods 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

Try a range of widths and lengths and see what you like best. Properly fitted boots would be more of a priority.
 Morgan Woods 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

And a pair with heat mouldable liners such as Intuitions ensure a good fit, as do custom footbeds.
 kevin stephens 08 Feb 2014
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

The only kit I would buy is standard down-hill boots from a good recommended boot fitter, intermediate level and get custom moulded foot beds if your boot fitter thinks you need them. The idea of a free ride / touring boot may be attractive but the substantial extra cost over standard boots will not be justified at your stage. After that any time after that you've hot a yearning to spend money on skis etc spend it on lessons instead.

As your skiing develops you will have a much better idea of what touring/back country skis and boots will suit you.
 Morgan Woods 15 Feb 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

dude why would you want to condemn a beginner to a miserable pair of standard Alpine overlap boots...loads of good stuff to consider in AT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...