UKC

Avon local expertise wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I went to Avon a few weeks ago and was a bit disturbed to find seepage everywhere (well, almost everywhere).

Is this still the case, or is there climbable stuff somewhere (and if so where!). Assuming it's not actually raining at the time, of course.

jcm
 The Pylon King 07 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think we have had so much persistant rain that the ground is totally saturated and seepage is going to be a major problem for a while now.

Some bits of Goblin Combe should be dry though.

Mark
 CurlyStevo 07 Feb 2014

Not Avon but... Swanage has been dry everytime I've been down there this winter but I've not been for nearly a month.
 The Pylon King 07 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
It's this last month that will make the difference!!

I reckon any crag without too much ground above and faces SW will be climbable after a dry day.
Post edited at 11:31
 CurlyStevo 07 Feb 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:
Well it was the second wettest December on record and that didn't affect things adversely when I visited on Jan 11th. I reckon Guillemot will be dry enough on the first sunny day.
 Choss 07 Feb 2014
I reckon you could find Something goable at Avon or brean this afternoon. Good sun and breeze this morning.
Post edited at 11:40
 James Smith 07 Feb 2014

yeah i had a good day at brean last week which was dry while avon was saturated
 pheotleyr 08 Feb 2014

Large parts of Sea Walls were dry yesterday.
 Garrouli 08 Feb 2014

I was out mountain biking a couple of hours ago in Leigh woods and had a quick glance over into the gorge - large amounts of seepage on Main wall, Amphitheatre, Suspension bridge, etc. Parts of sea walls looked OK, though it started to rain heavily so that may not be the case now.
 Nick Russell 08 Feb 2014

I haven't been down there myself, but the ramp (sea walls, upper wall) almost always has something climbable on it if it's not actually raining. It's pretty exposed to wind and gets loads of sun.
 martin.p65 08 Feb 2014

Have climbed twice at Avon in the past week.
Both times on Sea Walls as it dries up pretty quick in the sun.
New Quarry was dry too when the sun was out.

Should find something!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Feb 2014

Another not avon but...I was at goblin combe today and it was surprisingly dry, especially eagle rock where pretty much all the face climbs where doable. Some seepy pockets/cracks though.
 pheotleyr 11 Feb 2014
Couple of routes on Central Buttress bone dry yesterday.
In reply to pheotleyr:

A lot better than Stoney, then. That had a torrent flowing out of the crag underneath Bubbles. There's a big reservoir somewhere back there needs to be emptied.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...