UKC

New tourer or Audax

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 07 Feb 2014
Slightly older cyclist. Trying to decide between audax or tourer. Also, will Tiagra be up to the job or do I need to go for 105. I'm also thinking of going with a steel Reynolds frame, rather than anything more expensive. I'm aware of some of the issues, but just wondered if anyone had any useful comments or advice, thanks.
 LastBoyScout 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

Go for 105 over Tiagra if you can, at least for shifters and rear mech.
In reply to Phil1919:

+1 to 105 over Tiagra.

I'd get the bike that fits what you're going to be doing most of. Specific Touring bikes tend to be 'beefy' and have strong heavy wheels to cope with panniers and touring gear. Audax bikes tend to be tough racing bikes but are built for comfort and the ability to carry a saddlebag and have decent mudguards fitted. Unless you're intending to go touring with front and rear panniers then an Audax style bike will probably be alot more fun.
 PeterM 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

Spa Cycles titanium, and the new Tiagra would be just fine.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p0
 Bob 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
An alternative would be a cyclocross bike. Fit road tyres and you'll be fine. My wife has one a Kinesis Crosslight 5T (carbon forks but caliper brakes not disks) and she uses it for both touring - fits rear pannier rack and as her winter bike. She's even done a CX race on it. Just under a grand for the setup she has so you can get it on the bike to work scheme.

I view CX bikes as being closest to what we just used to call a bike, something that will do just about anything. MTB (downhill, enduro, cross-country); CX; audax; tourer; road (various sub-categories) ...
Post edited at 15:46
 The Potato 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

Ive got a mix of tiagra / 105, cant say ive noticed any difference when upgrading/downgrading components tbh.

Audax - probably lighter, tourer - proably a bit more robust with more potential mounting points for panniers mudguards etc.

I have a trek pilot 2.1 which is an alu/carbon light tourer and Id say I miss a steel frame now.
Removed User 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

Decide what you want to use it for and buy accordingly. If you will be touring with tent etc then a tourer is probably the way to go. If you want a comfy road bike then an 'audax' bike would be preferable. A surf and possibly a post on some cycling forums would be an idea.

FWIW, I have a full on tourer and I also have a Thorn Audax Mk3 which I'm going to sell as soon as I've finished building my roadie. The Thorn is in many ways a great bike but not very good as a tourer unless you go credit card style with minimal luggage. As someone said above a crosser might be a good option so long as you go for a modern crosser style bike rather than a proper crosser which will be twitchy and will have no bottle mounts.

I suspect my bike requirements are not dissimilar to yours and if I could only have one bike it would probably be this: http://www.shandcycles.com/frames/allroad/stoater-overview/

Re levers, if you have to have Shimano then get 105 or better. If you are running 9 speed Shimano old Campagnolo 10speed ergos will work better (in my experience). Don't overlook SRAM either though I thought their lower end kit felt cheap and flimsy.
 Brass Nipples 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

As you know know audax is ridden on all sorts of bikes. What length audaxes do you ride 100,200,300,400,600,1000 km + ? The longer the distance the more you'll tend towards a lighter weight audax framed bike...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...