UKC

Free water in Fontainebleau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 07 Feb 2014
Hi

I'm staying in Font for the next few months and I'm struggling to find large quantities of water. The taps are off at Cul du chien and the aire in Milly. The bivouac near Barbizon is closed and the bivouac in the south is a bit far for regular trips.

I'm thinking of locations in and around Cuvier and Trois pignons, so if any of the local areas have fonts I can check, that'd be great.

Thanks for any help.
 Trangia 07 Feb 2014
In reply to cha1n:

IIRC isn't there a fountain at La Croix St Jerome?
 Bruce Hooker 07 Feb 2014
In reply to cha1n:

The only tap I can think of is at the bivouac at Bourron Marlotte. It's in the car park by the road leading up to the Mare aux Fées. It's a long way from the main climbing areas though. Isn't the tap working at the old wooden market building in the middle of Milly la Foret? It's on the North East corner of the building, at least it was.

The taps and bivvy site at the Cuvier have been closed down for years. It's strange there aren't more taps, I know I've seen one near a Maison Forestière near Fontainbleau town but I'm not sure where... possibly at one marked on the IGN map as "Mais Forest des Huit Routes, just N W of Fontainebleau going toward Mont Ussy. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
 ark05 08 Feb 2014
sounds odd, but i always found graveyards in France to have taps. Worth a look.
 ewar woowar 08 Feb 2014
In reply to adamki:

> sounds odd, but i always found graveyards in France to have taps. Worth a look.

Not odd at all.

Where do the old dears get the water for the vases of flowers from otherwise?
OP cha1n 10 Feb 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can confirm that the tap in the graveyard was working. I made sure it was empty and used it but will try and find a better one near Cuvier and will update the thread.
 petegunn 10 Feb 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Theres water near the parking to Elephant if your over that way.
 Carolyn 10 Feb 2014
In reply to petegunn:

> Theres water near the parking to Elephant if your over that way.

Ah yes - in the remains of a building, on the other side of the road to the Elephant, opposite a bit of parking and where the track goes in.
 brices 12 Feb 2014
In reply to cha1n:

A Fair few super markets have "Aire Du services" in the car parks where motorhomes can dump grey water and fillup as do many petrol stations. i cant think of any particulare ones in the area. keep your eyes open for a white square sign with a motorhome on it with water coming out the bottom.
OP cha1n 06 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're sorted for water in the south and east but still haven't found anything for the north/more central which is where I've been spending most of my time. Any help is really appreciated.
 patsaunders 06 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

If i remember there is a tap in centre of Milly in barn/market place at the end by the pub, it is on all the time.
 McGuinness 06 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

If I remember correctly, there is a tap in the Rocher au Sabots car park. But this is going back a couple o years now so I might be thinking of another area entirely.
OP cha1n 07 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks for the replies.

There is indeed a tap in the centre of Milly and one in the sabots car park (though it's rarely switched on).

I'm specifically looking for areas in the north, near Bas Cuvier or even central, near Fontainebleau. Thanks for any help.
 James FR 07 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

I believe there's a tap in the Faisanderie car park, just west of Fontainebleau (http://goo.gl/maps/XESJw).

This might be the Maison Forestière that Bruce was talking about.
 Carolyn 07 Mar 2014
In reply to James FR:

> I believe there's a tap in the Faisanderie car park, just west of Fontainebleau (http://goo.gl/maps/XESJw).

> This might be the Maison Forestière that Bruce was talking about.

Yes, I think they're likely to be one and the same place (but it's ages since I've been, and have no idea if there's a tap...)
 James FR 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

I seem to remember seeing one around there, and the ONF claims there is a tap: http://www.onf.fr/enforet/fontainebleau/explorer/informations_pratiques/201...

(near the bottom of the page "Points d'eau potable")
OP cha1n 07 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know the exact car park you mean, we actually considered staying in it a few weeks back but too many youts turned up playing their music loud, so we went elsewhere. I never noticed a tap but I never really looked and plus we drove straight into the overflow parking area.

Will report back when I check it out.
OP cha1n 08 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Ok, stopped by yesterday and the tap was on the side of the MF and was switched off, so back to the drawing board. Anyone else know of a tap or I have to drive all the way back to milly to get water!
 Bruce Hooker 08 Mar 2014
In reply to McGuinness:

> If I remember correctly, there is a tap in the Rocher au Sabots car park. But this is going back a couple o years now so I might be thinking of another area entirely.

Yes, quite right, that's still there.
 Bruce Hooker 08 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

I'll be back in Seine et Marne next week and I'll have a look. I'll report back next week.
OP cha1n 10 Mar 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Ok, the water is switched on at Bois le roi. It's on the opposite side of the road to the house, a green water pump just inside the wood.

Bois-le-Roi (Maison Forestière de) D 138 Ancienne Route de Bourgogne
77590 Bois-le-Roi
France
GPS : 2°42’0”E48°27’27”N

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...