UKC

Haute Route on 102mm skis - will it work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kimma 08 Feb 2014
Hello,

I'm doing the haute route in a cople of weeks, and am thinking of doing it on a pair of Coombacks, which are 102mm underfoot, with Dynafit bindings. I KNOW everywhere it says 85-90mm is best, but I'm wondering if it will be OK. I really only want/can afford one pair of skis.

Thoughts?

Kim
 smithaldo 08 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

It will just be more effort. In fact doesn't the description even say they are heavy but you will be the powder gangsta at huts?
 Dave Searle 08 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

As long as you can ski them ok its fine. They'll just be more heavy than a smaller thinner ski but as long as you know that its fine!
 Guy 08 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

I did the HR a few years ago on a pair which were 90 wide and I was the gangster powder hound of the hut it turned out. In the deeper tracks it was a little harder work as I was effectively breaking trail on the edges of my skis some of the time but other than that I was still first up the plateau du couloir. I think that was because we were going balls out to get to the Bouquetins hut and everyone else was taking it easy on their way to the Chanrion but I like to think it was because I was super fit!
In reply to kimma:

No reason why it isn't ok. Only, remember that doing HR is mountaineering you do on skis, not skiing in mountains, if you see what I mean. I take it you have checked the huts will definitely be open this early in the season??
Haggis Trap 08 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

Good versatile set up.

I would much rather do Haute Route on "coomba + dynafit" than "wayback + fritchi".

For its size the coomba is still reasonably light (<2kg).
Its not a rando-spankers ski - but you will enjoy the downhills.
 Aigen 09 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

I have the same set up and its fine. I did get new boots lately. Changed from Garmont to La Sportiva Spectras. Combacks with Dynafit rock.
kimma 09 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

In reply to kimma:

That's useful feedback everyone. I actually just sold my previous (even wider) set up, and was looking at waybacks et al for touring, but immediately realised I would only want to buy another more downhill oriented set-up.

I'm think of dropping from 180+cm to the 174, which should minimise the risk of me falling over like an idiot during kick turns.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2012/13 and 1013/14 Coombacks, apart from the fancy decals?

@nickinscottishmountains – yeah, we’ll be staying in winter rooms, and given what I have heard about the conditions, I’m guessing we’ll have to be fairly realistic about the itinerary.

Cheers
Kimma
 Ben Briggs 09 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

They will be fine if your only gonna have one ski don't get a tiny one.
When we did the haute route, a long time ago now as a bunch of free riders, I used 120 underfoot skis with dukes and alpine boots, I was with snowboarders who were snow shoeing. We got some funny looks at the huts but were still much faster than the guided groupes with skinny skis. When we turned up at the Vingnettes with all our gear having come from the Valsorey they guardians thought we were mad!
 top cat 09 Feb 2014
In reply to kimma:

No reason why not, but it will be like doing a road race on a mountain bike.

Mind you, my HR was late season and I didn't have any deep snow to contend with. Like other posters, we were faster than most groups, and did the whole route to Sass Fee in less time than most folk take for the short version. We used 90/70/80 skis that were a delight on the up and great on early morning ice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...