/ Beginner's ice axe question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gman2012 on 09 Feb 2014
I've bagged a few winter Munros & I'm thinking of doing some easy Grade 1 gullies and progressing from there. Already got an Air Tech Evo and was given a shot of 2 axes on the Cobbler during the week so I'm planning to get another axe.

Can I pair the Air Tech with something more technical like a DMM Fly or do you need 2 matched axes? Any other advice? Cheers.
highclimber - on 09 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

You don't need two matching axes. It's some times preferable to have a technical axe and a walking axe for situations like when one comes across some hard neve or a banked out gully.
purplemonkeyelephant - on 09 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

I've often wondered this. If you go with a mate couldn't you borrow theirs and then lower it down once you've set up an anchor?

Won't work for simulclimbing but saves weight.
Graeme Hammond - on 09 Feb 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> If you go with a mate couldn't you borrow theirs and then lower it down once you've set up an anchor?

That would be a complete pain in the proverbial (e.g. if your route doesn't take a vertical line) and would waste time.

Jasonic - on 10 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

Grade 1 is traditional with one axe- if you decide to get another, or part of a pair perhaps look at the allrounder designs like Fly's, Quarks, Vipers.
gman2012 on 10 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

Thanks for the replies.
Chris Huntington - on 10 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

If you're want to progress up the grades get a hammer for your second axe.
pec on 10 Feb 2014
In reply to gman2012:

I did my first winter routes with a 70cm walking axe and 45 cm hammer, not ideal but on easy routes you can get away with anything spikey.
highclimber - on 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Huntington:
> If you're want to progress up the grades get a hammer for your second axe.

I can count on one hand where I've used my hammer. I've lost count how many times I've used my adze!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.