UKC

Confused about boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arnie2001 09 Feb 2014
Hi all. I am very new to walking/hill climbing. Myself and my mate have decided to walk up Ben Nevis in June in aid of a local children s charity.
We are out most weekends climbing hills in Snowdonia, the lakes etc, etc, in order to get hill fit for our challenge.

We have kitted ourselves out in fairly decent gear. However, up to now I have not really spent much money on boots. I am wearing a rather cheap pair of Karrimor boots which I know are sub standard. I am looking at various boots on-line, but I am really not sure what type/brand/style boot is fit for the type of walking that I am doing. I am looking to pay between £100-£150 on a pair and I welcome any advice from people in the know.

Many Thanks
Richard
 blackcat 09 Feb 2014
In reply to arnie2001: for uk summer,spring,autumn,three season boots are fine,doesnt realy matter what brand as long as they fit well,pay a little extra and you get a goretex liner,im sure if you go to a decent outdoor shop they will give you more advise,nice your doing somthing for a good cause.

PPP 09 Feb 2014
In reply to arnie2001:

In order to answer which boots do you want, I would ask few questions before:
1. How heavy your rucksack tends to be? More ankle support would be needed if your rucksack is heavy.
2. Are you planning to stay overnight on the hills? I am not sure whether it is really important, though (it's just addition to first question, I suppose).
3. How many miles are you planning to walk?
4. Are you planning to head to unbeaten tracks? A little bit tougher boots might be required.
5. Do you prefer leather or fabric boots? It looks like they are really similar in all aspects.
6. Are you planning to walk in winter? If so, crampon compatible boots would be required.
7. Are you into low-level stuff or scrambling, steep slopes, etc? More flexible boots are more comfortable for low-level walking, but stiff and sturdy boots are better for steep sections of the route.

I am into 4 season walking, with quite heavy rucksack (10-15kg), tend to wander to unbeaten tracks with many bogs and I like longer trips (like a week or so, with camping out every night). I killed Asolo Flame GTX boots (which are crap for the price, in my opinion), so bought Scarpa SL Activ boots last week. They seem to be better, lots of durability and are very stiff for walking, but I prefer heavier and stiffer boots so my ankles stay safe. I am not sure if Scarpa SL Activ boots was the best choice, but I will see.
In reply to arnie2001:
As PPP said we need more info to help.
What do you mean by climbing? Are you meaning to include scrambling or "just" hillwalking?
What are you expecting to do with boots?
Are you looking for a one for all or many different boots for what your intending to do?
The main tourist path to the Ben can in good conditions be done in lightweight footwear right through B1, B2 to B3. Personally I use a B2/3 boot all year round but I need the ankle support. This takes me from summer strolls into easy winter walking. BTW they are Scarpa SLs but you will not get them for £150 new.
If you are doing regular walking routes mainly on paths and you do not have specific needs for ankle support, etc, most good quality B1 boots will take up comfortably up the tourist path to the Ben.

wbo 09 Feb 2014
In reply to arnie2001:
I think i would start by adding whats wrong with the boots you're using now? If they work in snowdonia they'll work in Scotland in the summer
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
Oops SLs are B1 - I was thinking about my old mountaineering boots when I typed that! SLs are great 3-4 season boot but definitely a B1! Sorry for any confusion.
 Mountain Llama 09 Feb 2014
In reply to wbo: +1

If your going up the tourist path and the weather is good a pair of trainers would be suitable.

If your current boots are comfy and you can manage say snowden in them, then you have your answer.......

Jack B 09 Feb 2014
In reply to arnie2001:

I spent many many years climbing mountains in the lakes and Scotland in boots worth under £50. It was only when I was going out in winter and needed crampons that I spent over £120 on a pair. I would stick with cheap boots until they are starting to feel inadequate, and then upgrade accordingly.

That said, a £120 pair of boots will feel nicer than a £50 pair, so if you've got money to blow, go for it. Though as others have said, you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you want to do if we're to give good advice.

Reading between the lines on your post, I get the impression that you don't know what that is yet. If so, either stick with the cheap boots until you have a clearer idea of what parts of mountaineering you enjoy most; or buy a very generalist and versatile boot.

Different brands are all subtly different shapes, and you'll be best off buying the one that fits best, but good ones to consider would be Scarpa Ranger or the Meindl Borneo. These are a little lighter than the ones suggested above, which will make them less tiring to walk in, but also less suited for snow or very rough ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...