UKC

Breaking in boots...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Bennett 09 Feb 2014
The other day I bought some new boots (Phantom 6000s) and needed to break them in before they got some serious usage. Today I ended up walking up my local hill and tourist spot (the Wrekin) a few times so I could spend a couple of hours in them. The temperature never got below 10 degrees, I got plenty of strange looks and felt totally overdressed feet wise. So how do you go about breaking in boots without feeling overdressed idiot?
Ps they were great and didn't really need breaking in anyway.......

UKC Edit for language
 WJV0912 09 Feb 2014
In reply to David Bennett:

Stop being self concious because you're life is undoubtedly more adventurous than those who would look at you and think you're a tw*t.
 martinph78 09 Feb 2014

Why worry about it?
 Dr.S at work 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Go out at night?
OP David Bennett 09 Feb 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Argh... Good navigation practice.....
 Northern Man 09 Feb 2014

Do what I do walk around the house with all the windows and doors open to simulate winter conditions in my new boots. I have a 28 days return policy, so only 26 days to go. I do not want you to think I am not serious as I go up and down the stairs every so often. O yes and I have extended the string holding them together so I don't look stupid if I have to go to the front door. Good luck.
 Sharp 09 Feb 2014

You need to detract attention from the boots by taking the rest of your clothing off.

Maybe you need a sign on your back, or pack, along the lines of the old 'running in' sign on the back of new cars...
 LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2014

Wear gaiters over them
 sbc_10 10 Feb 2014

Go naked from the boots up....passers-by probably won't notice the boots.
m0unt41n 10 Feb 2014

Know how you feel, I had to try out my Millet Everests in late spring.
 niallk 10 Feb 2014

Pah, that's nothing - I once saw a guy in Winter boots and full pack doing laps of the stairs in a tube station!
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2014

Aren't the Phantoms synthetic, in which case they shouldn't really need breaking in?
Joonsy 10 Feb 2014

carry a sandwich board over your shoulders with the words ''i'm trying not to feel like an overdressed dick'' written on it.
 crayefish 10 Feb 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

But your feet often need breaking into them

When I broke in my phantoms or worn them on public transport from London to Scotland I have done so with great pride! Who else on the bus is going to have £400 shoes that have a zip and come in gaudy colours?
 lost1977 10 Feb 2014
In reply to niallk:

was that at Russell sq or Covent garden
 nniff 10 Feb 2014

Still doesn't beat the guy I saw in Edale in 1979, crunching up the road in crampons, with an ice axe. There was a bit of snow on the tops and it was Easter, to be fair.

When I'm breaking in boots and feeling overdressed, I think back to that and all is well again
 martinph78 10 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> When I broke in my phantoms or worn them on public transport from London to Scotland I have done so with great pride! Who else on the bus is going to have £400 shoes that have a zip and come in gaudy colours?

Lady Gaga?

crayefish 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Oh yeah baby
 AlanLittle 10 Feb 2014
I'm seriously considering a few evenings at the wall in my Scarpa Triolets before I attempt to climb actual rock in them
 Nick Russell 10 Feb 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

> Go naked from the boots up....passers-by probably won't notice the boots.

Already been done, a few years ago there were frequent sightings of a naturist on the Wrekin. I think the local consensus was that he was probably harmless.
 Sharp 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

Maybe in England, we know jail is the only place for hardened criminals like that in Scotland.
 hokkyokusei 10 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

My band new Mammut Nordwands turned a few heads on the flight to Geneva.
 Scarab9 11 Feb 2014

Who cares. Anyone who knows what they are will either know what you're doing or are judgemental tw*ts who probably judge everybody.

I tend to get the opposite, I run down from the hills in winter wearing a vest and minimal shoes and get funny looks from the folks wearing hundreds of pounds of outdoor gear to walk down the canal for a pub lunch.
I figure if they're more comfortable being covered and layered then good for them. If they can't understand I run warm then who cares.
 Camm 11 Feb 2014
I also wore full kit inc nepal extremes on a flight geneva because everything we took was going to come with us up the mountains, didn't even take them off through security
 kestrelspl 11 Feb 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:
I fly to Geneva for work quite a bit and it always makes me smile when I see other people on the flight wearing mountaineering boots who are clearly off to enjoy some climbing! There seem to be a few on every flight over the summer.
Post edited at 17:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...