UKC

Hacked emails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 10 Feb 2014
I've had a number of emails supposedly from a friend of ours(an elderly lady) but I can tell without opening them that they have originated as a result of a malicious third party accessing her email account. I've advised her before to change her password but I'm now wondering if she's inadvertantly got spyware on her pc. Does anyone know if this is how somebody might be getting into her account.
Also, I've just right clicked on her unopened email and gone to "Properties". In "Message Details" it shows the "Return Path" as something other than our friend's email address. Is it possible to deduce or do anything from this?
Grateful for any advice.
 ByEek 10 Feb 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

It might be that something has managed to get her contacts list and is sending you emails supposedly from her.
OP FesteringSore 10 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> It might be that something has managed to get her contacts list and is sending you emails supposedly from her.

Well, yes, I realise that.
 Jungle_153 10 Feb 2014

It could be something on yours, using contact details from your contact list.
Removed User 10 Feb 2014
It's just malware. There's no person attached to it, no one 'getting into her account', it's just a script.

Run malwarebytes on her machine and change her password from a different computer, will fix the problem easily. Unless she's using something like outlook express in which case all you can do is spam malwarebytes every couple weeks and hope for the best.
Post edited at 09:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...