UKC

3rd rail trains in floods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 10 Feb 2014
If the track floods to the height of the 3rd rail, does that earth the power and stop everything?
 graeme jackson 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

pure conjecture but I'd like to think it may short out in spectacular fashion like the power boxes on american telegraph poles. I'd also imagine the rail companies will switch off the current before that happens
 Clarence 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

No, it is very boring. The power is only actually on in a short section at a time anyway, the trips do their thing and the power goes off in a very short time.
 Hooo 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

More conjecture, but I don't think you'd get a big flash and flames like a transformer. It's only 600V, so if there was a sudden surge of water covering a length of track I think it would blow the fuse without too much to see. If the water rose gradually until it flashed over at a point, I think it would boil at the point and this would quickly spread along the rail as the steam made it conduct across the gap. No big sparks, but there's quite a bit of energy require to blow the fuse, so you wouldn't want to be standing next to it.
I assume the rail companies have sensors to kill the power in any likely flood points though...
 The New NickB 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

Have you ever seen pictures of the Volk's Electric Sea Railway?
 rallymania 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

don't know about the electic side of things, but i was told by scotrail during a heavy rainstorm the water reaching the top of the rail means the trains will be stopped by the drivers. if they can't see the rails they're not to proceed (incase the track is obstructe or just missing i guess)

just of of interest... and not really knowing much about the subject... how common is 3rd rail outside of underground these days anyway?
 crayefish 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

Yep... power tracks are very low voltage (high current) compared to overhead power cables. While a higher voltage would be more efficient (hence the voltages used in cross country power lines), the issue of maximum 'jump' length of the sparks needs to be considered due to the proximity to normal rails and of course people stupid enough to venture near.
OP MG 10 Feb 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Interesting. I was on the East Coast line a couple of years ago during floods when the water was at the bottom of the rails. Didn't realize how close we were to getting stopped.
OP MG 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

And, lowering the tone, do people really get electrocuted in novel ways by peeing on third rails?
 rallymania 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

are you volunteering to conduct an expeeriment to test this?

<puns intended>
 mullermn 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

I think Mythbusters did this one and concluded it doesn't work.
 deepstar 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

Slightly off topic but if anyone was considering climbing the Parson & Clerk rock near Teignmouth it would be a good time as soon as the storms have abated as the railway tunnel will be train free for quite a while.
 Hooo 10 Feb 2014
In reply to rallymania:

> just of of interest... and not really knowing much about the subject... how common is 3rd rail outside of underground these days anyway?

Well down here in Sussex it's 3rd rail everywhere. Don't recall ever seeing overhead lines between London and the South Coast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...