UKC

Living in Bangor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 10 Feb 2014
It's possible we will be moving to Bangor (or surrounding village) later this year, and I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the place. Does anyone who lives or has lived there care to share their experiences?

Pros:
-Climbing - obviously. I expect/hope I would do a lot more climbing.
-Biking - good road and mountain biking when it's too wet to climb - Plenty of good trail centres
-Cheap houses and cost of living - would like to buy our first house and it will be much easier here compared to many of the other places we've looked at.
-Beaches - not lived by the coast before but the beaches to the west look excellent

Cons:
-I have been the North Wales quite a lot, and occasionally experienced quite unpleasant anti-English racism. I would hope this is not as widespread as it seems.
-Rains a lot
-Long drive to anywhere - Bristol, Sheffield, gritstone. Liverpool airport is still quite a long way off. Googlemaps reckons 4 hours to Pembroke!
-Limited social scene? This is the biggest worry - how many 25-35s are around for a good climbing and biking partner pool? What's the local scene like for E1-ish bimblers? Obviously lots of strong guys in the area but I wonder how many lower grade climbers are around.

Would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions!

Cheers

Skyfall 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

Funny, just back from a weekend in Bangor visiting relatives.

A massive proportion of the population are students. Read from that what you want, but I'm sure you knew that.

It's obviously very close to a wide range of climbing and walking.

Some of the beaches down Caernarfon way and further are v nice. Imo, Caernarfon is a somewhat nicer place to potter around/go out in. But it's only 10 mins down the road from Bangor. Good climbing wall (the new Beacon) at Caernarfon.

I've not noticed any real anti-English behaviour but then my family are local. I wouldn't get hung up on this. I think it's easy to misinterpret the simple fact that, for many of the locals, Welsh is their first or at least preferred language and they will speak it a lot to each other. That doesn't mean they are trying to be rude to you. I'm sure it happens occasionally, as anywhere, but c'est la vie.

It will indeed take a long time to drive down to Pembroke but it's very fast indeed to head north on the A55 coast road (which is quick) and get across to the Peak or even S Lakes.

Another pro, it is Wales and has a v interesting culture, so maybe embrace that rather than focus on the negative side of that? Maybe even try to learn Welsh....
 Mike Peacock 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

There was a short thread at the end of last year on this topic:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=570523

The beaches on Anglesey are great (both the sandy and cliffy types). About 1.5hrs to Liverpool - I don't think that's too bad at all. I never really experienced much anti-English stuff when I lived there.
 Skyfall 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Yes, a lot of the locals recommend Menai Bridge as a nice spot (we were out there on Sat eve).

I'd agree that, if it were me, I'd look to live outside Bangor itself but the general area has a lot to commend it.
OP Mowglee 10 Feb 2014
Thanks all. Menai Bridge does looks like a nice place, but perhaps somewhere on the other side of Bangor would be better for travel.
 alexjz 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I did my masters in Menai Bridge in 2010-11 and have wanted to go back ever since!! Just turns out I've found a great job on Anglesey and will be moving back in May with my girlfriend. I'll be moving to Menai area. So you'll have at least one E1-2 bimbler to climb with if you do move there! I think my gf is worried about the social scene as well... but it's a uni town. I'm not worried about that
 Banned User 77 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

It doesnt rain that much.. the coastal plain receives much less rain than the mountains so the Orme or Gogarth can be dry when the mountains are drenched.

Its quick to MAN airport.. thats the closest.

Re racism.. not really, its anti-anyone where it does exist, Caernarfon hates Bangor.. just typical anti-outsider but in reality its not an issue.
OP Mowglee 10 Feb 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Cool! Look out for 'partner wanted' threads in 6 months or so!
In reply to Mowglee:

What are you moving there to do?? If you are a Doctor or other medical professional you will have relatively good social scene through that, no??

In addition to this, North Wales has a very healthy climbing scene. There are loads of people happy to 'bimble' around E1. Head to Indy Climbing Wall, very good wall and scene as with the Beacon.

The anti-English feeling is definitely a problem, but it isn't too bad as long as you avoid certain places/pubs. Llanberis can be really bad for it, yet is also the place I'd choose to live (as a climber) as there are loads of like-minded people.

The way I tried to minimise bad feeling towards me from English-haters was to use the odd Welsh phrase to help me along - Diolch = Thankyou, Ti'n iawn? = How are you?, Da iawn = Good thankyou, etc.

I have recently moved away as my girlfriend didn't want to stay after graduating and I do miss it a lot. It is a brilliant place to live IMO.

HTH,

Dunc
In reply to Duncan Campbell - UKC:

I lived in Llanberis, sure anti-outsider, but I played local football for Llanberis and never found it that bad. Even up in Dieniolen it seemed OK. Certainly on a night out no pub was an issue. I used to like the Prince of Wales, classic pub.
 Lord_ash2000 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I lived there for about 2 years some 4 years back.

Climbing wise, yes I'd say there is a decent scene at most grades I wasn't short of climbing partners for bouldering or routes despite being quite unsociable.

It does rain a lot, its grim sometimes after months are dark wet weather.

In terms are anti Englishness, it isn't to bad although they do still insist Wales is a country. Although after 2 years of living there 80-90% of my mates were from northern England, I don't know if that's just by chance or not.

Down side, it is a bit of a dump in Bangor its self. Quite a lot of poverty and deprivation and there are a lot of drugs going about, or at least there was when I was there.
 rockcatch 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I've lived in Bangor for 15 years now. I wouldn't choose to live in the town center, but out towards the hospital is OK, and it is in easy walking distance if you want to go for a night out. The nightlife isn't great in terms of live music, but Manchester is under two hours drive away if there's a band you particularly want to see. We also get a good number of mountain themed lecture tours visiting Caernarfon or Llandudno which are both within 30 minutes drive.

There's plenty to do outdoors - road or mountain biking, climbing, winter mountaineering, walking etc, and even after 15 years I still enjoy heading out in to the hills. If you're in to it it's also a good place to own a motorbike.

The new Beacon climbing wall in Caernarfon provides good evening entertainment in the winter months, or when it is raining (not unusual) in the summer. That's one of the downsides - the weather can be quite miserable.

Hope this helps.

Andy
 Chris_Mellor 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Second that.
OP Mowglee 10 Feb 2014
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like the pros are outweighing the cons for the moment!
Thickhead 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

Seems like most people used to live there and not now... Myself included. Might not mean anything though!

I was brought up on Anglesey. Menai Bridge has changed beyond recognition over the past 25years. Waitrose for a start.

I wouldn't choose to live on the island - preferred to mainland as closer to mountains, A55, work etc. Perhaps if worked on Anglesey maybe different.

I lived over in Conwy in later years - family all based around there now. Better weather, 30minutes closer to England/airports etc. Liverpool and Manchester airports only 75minute drive. A bit more anglified over that way too which may suit some people. Bit of a longer drive to the main mountain honeypot sites such as Cwm Idwal/Ogwen or Llanberis. But better access to quieter areas of Carneddau, Sychnant, Moelwyns etc.

Its a long long way to South Wales.

Sporting wise, pretty good. You shouldn't have problems meeting people if you put yourself out there. Racism generally not an issue unless you act like a complete cock. Climbing/biking excellent. Running scene very good. Beaches good.

Houses cheaper than some places I suppose. Can very greatly depending on whether you what a "trendy" area or not. E.g Menai Bridge/Beaumaris would be expensive, Llangefni a little less so. Most young professionals I know seem to head to Bethesda.
In reply to Thickhead:

Aye, looked at houses on the island.. as I worked there. Just never liked it as a place to live, mainly for the mountains. The new 55 has made a massive difference. For me I'd move north wales coast/conwy as you say.. better weather, better access, yet still quick access. But you do pay more. Saw some nice houses in llanfairfechan and Aber but the cheaper ones just didnt see sun.
Thickhead 11 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

The only problem with living in Conwy would be if you commute to Bangor/Anglesey. There nearly always seems to be roadworks on the A55. It was a real pain in the arse around rush hour traffic.

I did it for a couple of years, in the morning it was great took about 20minutes. Evening about an hour.

Thats when there's roadworks, otherwise its a good road.

There is a train too if it works with work times...
 wynaptomos 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> It does rain a lot, its grim sometimes after months are dark wet weather.

> In terms are anti Englishness, it isn't to bad although they do still insist Wales is a country.

errrrr, maybe that's because it is a country.........
 Dan Lane 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I've been living in Bangor for about 18 months now, and had pretty much no problems with anti-englishness specifically, though (as you'd expect) are pretty horrible towards everyone. That happens everywhere though, no?

All of your pros are pretty much spot on. As for the rain...yes, it rains a lot on the mountains, but all you have to do is head out to the coast and it'll probably be dry and sunny! It is a fair drive to a lot of places, but really not that bad. Because the A55 is a fast road it'll barely take you more than an hour to get to the M6 (assuming there's no roadworks...). Manchester airport is certainly not that far, and has good train connections (via crewe).

And climbing partners? there's loads! I for one, am always looking for partners around that grade!

Hope that helps!
Dan
pasbury 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I lived in Bethesda for a couple of years though the fact I was a student will colour my experiences.
I loved it - the whole area is a mecca for all outdoor sports and full of enthusiastic folk doing stuff at all levels and loving the mountains. Finding people to climb with at whatever level will not be a problem.
If you are going to live in Wales i suggest you embrace that fact - learn a bit Welsh even if it's only pronounciation. You have to take the odd bit of anti-english sentiment on the chin - if you react in good humour people are absolutely fine.
It might be a long drive to pembroke but frankly why bother; you'd be in the middle of the most varied climbing area in Britain.
As to the rain - wander round the quarries, go for a walk, head for the rainshadows.
 goosebump 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

Hiya,
we have lived here 4 years, moved over from Chester. We live in Tregarth - near Bethesda - just out of the mountain weather (most of the time) and 5 minutes to the A55.
My tuppence is that I have never experienced any anti-Englishness here at all, but nor do I feel like a local. Doubt I ever will, and Im fine with that.
Your pros are spot on, as are IanRUKs comments. Llanberis is rainy, Bangor less so, Anglesey and Conwy even less so. Menai Bridge seems to be experiencing a kind of renaissance, with new shops, restaurants etc opening up - generally a good vibe. If looking at a place to buy anywhere round here, be aware that there will be new pylons going in from Wylfa eastwards to Pentir then onward, somewhere.....
Good luck with the decision
PS Ive just posted on the Plas y Brenin evenings thread a bit of social stuff which might be worth you looking at.
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2014
In reply to goosebump:

> My tuppence is that I have never experienced any anti-Englishness here at all, but nor do I feel like a local. Doubt I ever will, and Im fine with that.

I lived in the Lakes for a year and that was just the same. Small, largely rural, communities will always be hard to break into. Incomers and all that. Understandable or at least predictable really. As I said above, I do think that many English people misinterpret what they experience and simply don't appreciate that a high proportion of people in certain areas speak Welsh as their preferred language and don't just do it to p*ss off visiting English. My family will sometimes speak Welsh to each other when I'm there (and almost always when they phone each other for example) and then realise they need to switch back to English. Just to get my own back I'm learning to speak Welsh, but it's v slow progress!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...