UKC

Wind turbine article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Baynes 10 Feb 2014
I mentioned this in another thread but thought I'd have another go at pointing folk to it: Achiltibuie wind turbine plan, rights and wrongs in historic and iconic mountain landscape.

http://bit.ly/1bEzr7c
 smollett 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Baynes:

I shat in a bathtub here when sharing it with my brothers. Good memories! Not the place for turbines tho. In fact can't think of many good places for them.
 malky_c 10 Feb 2014

Sense of perspective needed I think. I'm not against turbines in a lot of places (many of them quite controversial), but I'd have an issue with a whole windfarm of 20-30 in this location. Not with one turbine though. Plenty of the most scenic places in the country have a single turbine (CIC has one, doesn't it?) and I can't see how it detracts much from the surroundings. May need a bit of work to ensure it isn't slap bang in front of someone's front room, but other than that I can't see the issue.

I think people have lost the ability to think sensibly about wind power now. As soon as the words 'wind turbine' are mentioned,there seems to be a knee-jerk reaction against them. Hence power companies are getting more and more devious about planning applications and consultation.
 Robin Woodward 10 Feb 2014

I also think that, as far as any development goes, wind turbines (particularly single turbines) have a relatively low level of long term impact on the surrounding area. In cases where there is already some kind of access track to the location, and grid connection is not overly laborious, should the turbine ever be removed, there would be little visible impact on the landscape (likely just a relatively small area of concrete or similar foundations).

As the life-time of most turbines is in the region of 20 years, at which point they are required (by the planning conditions) to be removed or replaced, I don't feel single turbines have the same long term scarring affect to a landscape as other industrial (or even residential etc.) developments.

This isn't to say that this necessarily mitigates the visual impact for those 20 years, but I think that, as said above, some perspective on the overall impact on the region should be considered.

In fact, in a community development such as this, (depending on their contractual obligations) there may be no reason why the turbine could not be removed after the 10 year payback time envisaged, should it be deemed detrimental to the local environment/tourist trade.
Removed User 10 Feb 2014

Thanks for sharing your well written, well researched and balanced article, I really enjoyed it.

I haven't been to Coigach for a couple of years and would really need to go back there and remind myself of exactly what the lie of the land is around there to be sure of my opinion but I feel that it probably is sited where it will have the least impact on the surroundings.

I guess I'm inclined to cautiously favour it as it chimes with my vision of Highland communities sustained by their own local power generation. Compare this with the proposal a few years ago to build a hydro scheme in the Sheildaig forest. The two generating roughly the same amount of energy but the latter causing many times the amount of damage and visual intrusion.

One question though, are there additional power lines planned in order to connect the turbine to the national grid? Their impact may be far greater than the impact of the turbine itself.
 Jack B 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I believe (though I'm not certain, so don't quote me) that part of the reason for siting it there is the water treatment plant already has a three-phase supply. Bear in mind that this is a single 900kW turbine, so big pylons won't be needed.

The article actually sums up my take fairly well - a necessary evil.
In reply to Jack B:

Yep the water treatment works and a potential hydro on the same site make it the best choice, existing road etc. Thanks to all who've commented, bit of a labour of love.
 Jack B 12 Feb 2014

Ah, I didn't realize you were the author. I thought there were some great bits in the article, the descriptions of some of the local characters made me smile. I'm not sure I would describe Altandhu as a township though - it can't have more than 25 houses!
 Phil1919 12 Feb 2014

A nuclear build there would be a better option perhaps. Lots of cooling water by the sea.
In reply to Jack B:

Achvraie where the turbine will be - possibly! - is a township - it's the way you describe a group of crofts, and Achvraie is smaller than Altandhu I would say.
 leland stamper 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
Ahh! Nuclear power stations, aren't they just so visually attractive. Passing by Berkeley power station on the Severn the other day I was thrilled to think it would still be there in thousands of years time keeping our children safe from the waste inside!
Post edited at 00:28
 leland stamper 13 Feb 2014
Has anyone actually read this! It is clearly bias towards the planting of a windfarm in some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe.
The way some of the interviewees are described gives away the bias from the stereotypical German to the English accents of the landed gentry! Read it and weep.

Phil1919 13 Feb 2014
In reply to leland stamper:

Get rid of the deer stalking estates first! They are trashing the Scottish Hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...