UKC

Ennerdale accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 10 Feb 2014
Anyone know of a nice cottage style accommodation in Ennerdale, Lake district - preferably close to the path for going to Pillar rock?

Ta
 Carolyn 11 Feb 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

There's nothing "close" to the path up to Pillar rock, apart from Gillerthwaite Youth Hostel and the Field Centre next door (and they're still a way off it). For cottages, there used to be some at Croasdale (but it was years ago we used them, no idea if it they're still available), or there'll likely be stuff in Ennerdale Bridge - both of which mean walking (or biking) in from the Bowness Knott Car Park.
J1234 11 Feb 2014

Pillar demands effort and maybe a bit of sacrifice and that may mean not stopping in a cottage. The best way I have found is book a bed at Gillerthwaite, and pay for it, the beauty of this is, it`s a great place to approach Pillar from and a great chilled place, but if the weather craps out, it is cheap enough just to sack off the trip.
I would advise take a mountain bike, it will save you an hour in total on approach and return.
I've stayed at Acorn Cottage, part of Bank House Farm just outside Ennerdale Bridge. Very nice and you can swim in the river there.

I don't think I've ever climbed on Pillar, but I reckon you could possibly cycle some of the way from Ennerdale Bridge?
 Carolyn 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

> I don't think I've ever climbed on Pillar, but I reckon you could possibly cycle some of the way from Ennerdale Bridge?

You can drive as far as Bowness Knott, and cycle any of the forest roads, which get you to within an hour of the base of the rock. The best point to leave the track and head in depends a bit on which part of the rock you're headed for....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...