UKC

Height and weight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alowen 11 Feb 2014
Afternoon all, I am just starting out in this sport /hobby and was wondering if there is a general rule on height and weight being detrimental to climbing? I'm 6ft 2" and 16.4stone. While I'm tall I've got a bit of excess on me but not massively, I understand that keeping trim and eating well are going to improve any sport but starting out I was concerned my biomechanics could be against me.

Thanks in advance

Al
 UKB Shark 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

A high body mass will at some point hinder your grade in absolute terms but in relative terms it doesn't make a difference - the routes will be no less enjoyable
 lowersharpnose 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

You are heavy.

I think you would be able to climb steeper routes more easily if there was less of you.

Try doing pull ups with three stones of sand on your back.
 lost1977 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

16.4 @6 2 not a worry at all
 maybe_si 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

Less weight is better.

I'm 6'4" and 14.5 stone, Am currently attempting to get back down to 13 stone, I was climbing much harder back then!
 Shani 11 Feb 2014
In reply to shark:
> (In reply to Alowen)
>
> A high body mass will at some point hinder your grade in absolute terms but in relative terms it doesn't make a difference - the routes will be no less enjoyable

An excellent point!
 The Potato 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:
being that heavy will make it harder for you for climbing, running, cycling etc, even if its all muscle
Im 5'11 11.65st and could still do with dropping a few more pounds to get to my optimal weight
Post edited at 15:41
Removed User 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

You recognise that your shape might be against you, but it will only matter for grades you can't climb. So don't worry about it, just get out there and climb anything you can get up. Climbing is good for you, just do it regularly.
 the sheep 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

I wouldnt worry, I'm 6'4 and nearly 17 stone and still have fun climbing. Just enjoy it!
Alowen 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Alowen:

Well it looks like I have nothing to worry about, thanks all.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...