UKC

Lakes this weekend - Help Please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RichieBizzle 11 Feb 2014
Hi all,

So due to no ice in the Pyrenees I have had to abandon that trip next week but need some sort of winter fix so no matter what I am going to get up to the Lakes this weekend.

Only problem is I really don't know much about the area in winter and would love some advice, particularly as the conflicting opinions on the lake conditions blog are huge.

So far I am looking at Pinnacle Ridge or a big day going up Sharp edge and down Halls fell, really just after a fun winter experience.

So if you had 2 days in the lakes this weekend and wanted a good fun winter experience up to Grade 3ish what would you do??

Thanks all so much, really appreciate it.
 Wesley Orvis 11 Feb 2014
In reply to RichieBizzle:

Stick to what you have planned, couldn't give any better advice with current conditions.
RichieBizzle 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Thanks Wesley, does Sharp edge require any protection in current conditions, also I have read there are few variations to make it a bit tastier towards the end... could you advise at all?

I'd be wary of the slopes above St Sunday crag in the current snow conditions. It's a perfect angle and shape for avalanches... Just keep an eye on what wind directions the snow comes in on over the next few days. A dump on a SE wind is bad news for above the crag.

Sharp Edge/Hallsfel has much lower avalanche risk.

NMM
 Wesley Orvis 11 Feb 2014

It's pretty easy to solo, never needed a rope myself but take a short one just in case as conditions do vary, I did scare myself on there once when there was a 2 foot snow arĂȘte on top of the rock and no one had gone across.
 Wesley Orvis 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

> I'd be wary of the slopes above St Sunday crag in the current snow conditions. It's a perfect angle and shape for avalanches... Just keep an eye on what wind directions the snow comes in on over the next few days. A dump on a SE wind is bad news for above the crag.

> Sharp Edge/Hallsfel has much lower avalanche risk

True, should have mentioned the above, but it's pretty easy to reverse as I have once upon finding such conditions.

RichieBizzle 11 Feb 2014

Thanks both, I might fire you a pm on Friday just in case you have any more up to date info...

thanks again.
 Wesley Orvis 11 Feb 2014

going out Thursday night so will let you know. Looks to be a clear night.
paddy cave 11 Feb 2014

Pinnacle Ridge is really good and fairly reliable, about III if you take the hardest options all the way.. Blencathra edges looking very snowy today as well.. enjoy
RichieBizzle 12 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Thanks paddy.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 12 Feb 2014

Out of interest, were you flying to Pyrenees? And did you claim it on insurance? I might be in same boat
 John Kelly 12 Feb 2014

jakes rake - my mate, a steady and determined fellow, has just climbed it using single axe and fell shoes (as it is not frozen)-reported it to be very serious with much digging and tonnes of unconsolidated snow - would warrant a winter grade of 3 at present- its 450m long and fairly inescapable probably the longest grade 1 mixed line in country
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

some good coverage right across the Lakes at the moment, this weekend looks like a great weekend to be out.
 John Kelly 13 Feb 2014

wild tomorrow again
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Sunday looking good though, will be out stomping around in the snow both days, they can't stop me doing that.
 Root1 13 Feb 2014

Good advice to be aware of the avalanche risk at the top of Pinnacle Ridge.
 John Kelly 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Root1:

plus 1
 John Kelly 13 Feb 2014
RichieBizzle 14 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks everyone, if pinnacle ridge is looking sketchy are there any other recommendations, given I have drive 6 hours home the same day?

Wesley Orvis 14 Feb 2014
Pinnacle Ridge will be fine just be careful of the exit slopes and if unsure retrace your steps back down, done it before it's pretty easy to down climb, if Pinnacle Ridge is to busy (which will be more of a worry imo) carry on towards the head of the valley until the next gully, on the left side of this gully is a grade 3 scramble, forgot the name, but it's an excellent winter buttress route, much better in winter than in summer where it's loose and very poor climbing, after topping out you can traverse right to the summit sticking to rocky bits unless they are completely buried that is.

Things are starting to firm up a little now.
Post edited at 11:37
 Skyfall 14 Feb 2014
I would treat Sharp Edge with some care. If there is a lot of snow, the bad step/notch can fill with snow and be a trap for the unwary (it's where a lot of accidents happen). I did it in very snowy conditions in a white out as my first ever winter route almost 20 years ago, which was quite exciting. Personally I would suggest, if it is heavily snowed up and you are in a pair, using a rope over the most exposed section of the ridge. It's a great outing in winter though, so enjoy. I've always thought that the Halsfell descent is a bit of a nothing though and prefer the run down the easy Scales Fell.

Sharp Edge is really just a half day's outing though (particularly if you run down Scales Fell as an easy but enjoyable way off) so that could be your route prior to heading home.
Post edited at 12:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...