UKC

Rope fleas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Me and my mate climbed something recently and there were loads of stray cats at the top. One of them got a bit close to the coiled rope and got us thinking about fleas. Can a rope catch/harbour fleas? Has anyone ever had a flea infested rope?

At home I keep the cat well away from all the climbing gear but the above situation was pretty unavoidable - stray cats everywhere.
 SouthernSteve 11 Feb 2014
In reply to mathematically safe:

Fleas are attracted by CO2 and warmth and vibration.
Fleas do not leave an animal (except for rabbit fleas, of the common ones, which may pick a more attractive host such as a pregnant doe)
Flea are caught by contact with environments where infested animals spend time, not be meeting infected animals.

Your rope is safe.
 Billhook 11 Feb 2014

Haven't you anything else to worry about?
 Enty 11 Feb 2014

Classic!

E
 alooker 11 Feb 2014

Was this route in Spain?!

I hope you've never put your rope on your bed!
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Cheers lads - thought it was a bit far fetched, and not my rope anyway so wasn't worried. Just seeing if anyone had any stories really.
In reply to alooker:

Yes - Costa Blanca (Diebro UBSA). It was like a zoo on top
 Choss 11 Feb 2014

Camping Below chudleigh north face years ago, at dusk Dozens and i Mean Dozens of cats Surrounding our tent every night. Quite creepy really.
 alooker 11 Feb 2014

Crazy isn't it, try spilling your packet of spicy nuts that you've been looking forward to on the top of the penon. Like a carpet of cats.
Removed User 12 Feb 2014
In reply to alooker:
> (In reply to mathematically safe)
>
> Crazy isn't it, try spilling your packet of spicy nuts that you've been looking forward to on the top of the penon. Like a carpet of cats.

I've often got to the top of a climb and spilt the contents of my nut bag onto a rock.
 jkarran 12 Feb 2014

> Can a rope catch/harbour fleas? Has anyone ever had a flea infested rope?

What would they feed on? Your rope could harbor fleas in much the same way anything could but not for very long.

jk
ceri 12 Feb 2014

I guess if the cats sat on the rope, the fleas could lay eggs on it. 90% of any flea population is eggs and larvae and there live in the environment...
 The Pylon King 12 Feb 2014
This is the weirdest thread ive seen on here. Well done!
Post edited at 11:22
 peppermill 12 Feb 2014

It's ropemites you want to worry about, not fleas. A friend came back from Northern India and his backpack was infested with them, they love synthetic fibres. Did you see the pitch at Murrayfield at the weekend? Yep. Imagine that's your climbing rope.
 jj0076 13 Feb 2014

I've found that most fleas tend to carry their own ropes so they're very unlikely to be interested in yours.
 Al Evans 13 Feb 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...