Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - First wheel upgrade for road bike

Alun - on 12 Feb 2014
A couple of years ago I bought myself a Boardman Road Comp as my first road bike. I am very happy with it, and have done 3000km on it without having changed anything, and it's going strong.

This June I am registered to do the Etape Eryri 'Mawr' (103 miles, 165km). As part of my training for this I have started riding >100km more often, and so my mind wonders to 'upgrades'. I am experienced sufferer of upgrade-itus from my mountain biking days, but this is now solved by having a set of go-to components which I replace pretty much like-for-like when they break/wear out. I don't have this experience with road bikes, which is why I need the help of the UKC cycling community!

I just changed my tyres and tubes (from Zaffiros and Decathlon-cheapo tubes, to Rubino Pros and decent Vittoria tubes) and discovered to my joy that each wheel now weighs 200g less. This, as far I can tell, is quite a big deal as its rotating weight. So I figure another way of losing rotating weight is upgrade the wheels, which are currently no-name hubs on Mavic CX22, 32 spoke rims. The front wheel, for info, weighs 800g (without tyres, tube & skewer).

My questions are therefore:
- Which wheels should I be looking at as an upgrade?
- Is weight the biggest factor? What other factors should I look at?
- How much money do I need to spend?
- At which point/price should I stop spending on wheels and save for a better bike? (e.g. I'm not going to spend a grand on wheels when the whole bike is worth 800).

At the moment I've been looking at an Ultegra wheelset for around 350 (F+R). But really I don't have much of an idea. Any help greatly appreciated!
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums