UKC

Rock Climbs Near Durham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 12 Feb 2014
Hi guys,
Does anyone know of some good rock climbs, within about an hour drive of Durham? Anything multi pitch or with a range of grades would be awesome
thanks
 Dave 88 12 Feb 2014
In reply to sethmford:

You tried this mate? http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/
OP ford23 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave 88:

Yea cheers, I have had a look at that but couldn't find any multi pitch routes around
 martinph78 12 Feb 2014
In reply to sethmford:

No muti-pitch within an hour of Durham.

Plenty of good climbing though, from North Yorkshire to Northumberland (only an hour on a Sunday morning anyway!).
 Null 13 Feb 2014
In reply to sethmford:

You need to go to the Lake District for what you want, but that is a bit more than an hour (unless they have vastly improved the roads since I was there).
 Kevster 13 Feb 2014
In reply to sethmford:

Peel crag/crag lough are the closest multipitch of length in Northumberland area. Great venue, though something of a niche style - stick with it if you go.
Though time wise, yorkshire limestone is probably as accessable.

Mostly bouldering up there, its that too high to boulder, not high enough to bother with a rope kind of area - especially the moorland stuff. Though there are some places with height granted.

Slipstones does have some outstanding gritstone bouldering though (better than the peak)...
 Ian Dunn 13 Feb 2014
In reply to sethmford:

Whitestone cliffe near Thirsk is within one hour of Durham, some multi pitch routes here but can be a bit intimidating and is an acquired taste! Night Watch is a classic at Hard Severe. Countdown and Central Cracks also very good at HVS.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2014
In reply to ford23:

check these crags out:
http://www.climbonline.co.uk/tyne_tees.htm

no multi pitch though, well apart from some girdle traverses.
In reply to ford23:
The high level traverse at Causey Quarry was originally done 2 pitches I was on the first roped ascent with Ed jr -- after he had soloed the FA the day before.
Post edited at 12:44
 martinph78 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I've done the traverse up to the right hand side of the main wall. My second wouldn't follow so I had to pull the rope through and drop it back down so he could belay from the ground. Ran out of gear by this point, and then had to go back and strip the route!

Great fun, but no way I'd solo it. I don't bounce very well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...