UKC

University Grants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 12 Feb 2014
20+ years ago when I went to University, I was lucky enough to have my fees paid and because my Dad's business had taken a real battering in the early 90s recession and technically being a single parent, a full grant. Being the early 90s the grants weren't quite as generous as they had been previously and I also got one of the very first student loans.

Moving back to the present, I have been thinking about University funding as my girlfriends daughter is choosing her GCSEs and I have been wondering about to what extent we will be able to support her financially at University, in five and a half years. I think I have got my head around that, but it got me thinking about grants.

If grant existed now, how low would your parents income need to be to qualify for a full one, how high would it need to be to not get any grant? Anyone know what the figures were in say 1990 vs average household income?
bust3r 12 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
"Help with your tuition fees - this will be paid to your university or college
Tuition Fee Loan Summary Table What you applied for How much you applied for Is this repayable?
Tuition Fee Loan £9000 Yes

we'll pay your Tuition Fee Loan direct to your university or college.
if the tuition fee charged by your university or college is more than the Tuition Fee Loan you borrow, you'll have to pay any remaining tuition fee yourself.

Help with your living costs - this will be paid to you
Living Costs Loan Summary Table What you applied for How much you applied for Is this repayable?
Maintenance Loan £3610 Yes
You've also applied for additional student finance, shown below. Getting this depends on household income, so you've asked for this to be assessed.
A higher amount of Maintenance Loan Up to £1945 Yes
Maintenance Grant Up to £3387 No, unless you leave your course early

"
Post edited at 18:45
OP The New NickB 12 Feb 2014
In reply to filip.kamycki:

Thanks, but mainly interested in the generational differences.
 ebygomm 12 Feb 2014

In 1998 it was something like 18.5k threshold below which you could get full help and pay no fees. Don't know what average salary at that time was
bust3r 12 Feb 2014

Alright, apologies.
In reply to filip.kamycki:

> Alright, apologies.

No problem
In reply to ebygomm:

Looks like average household income was about £20k then, it is about £32k now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...