UKC

Ben Nevis - tower ridge summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 0153453 12 Feb 2014
Hi, planning a trip to the Ben Nevis area either may, July or August. Primarily climbing but while in the area might aswell go up Ben Nevis, and why not do it by tower ridge.

Plan to drive up and camp, maybe one night in a b&b of some sort depending on the plan, any advice on where to camp, possibly wild camp a night aswell. In terms of climbing hoping for a few days doing easy routes, up to v diff or maybe severe. Any advice on which guidebook is best for the area, had a look in both smc Ben Nevis and another with tower ridge, both looked similar. But wanted advice on a smaller route to build up to tower ridge if possible, in the same guidebook ideally.

Sure there will be something else but got plenty of time yet, any other tower ridge too tips are welcome.

Cheers
In reply to 0153453:

you could do castle ridge as a warm up for tower ridge its just to the right of tower ridge.There is a hostel across the road from the bridge that leads to the tourist track at the bottom of the ben.Its £21 a night.
OP 0153453 13 Feb 2014
In reply to cheek to the rock:

In reply to 0153453:

That sounds ideal, any decent guidebooks with that in? Looks pretty straightforward from what I've read so far though. Thinking of getting smc Ben Nevis seems the best option, would be good if castle ridge was in there.
 bowls 13 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

From my experience doing it in the wet makes it considerably harder than equivalent scrambles/easy climbs of similar grade, the rock is more loose than you would expect to be. On a dry day you may well fly up it though!
In reply to 0153453:

I did tower ridge 2 summers ago.It,s what got me into climbing.Scrambled up the ridge,then came down cmd to the cic hut.I wished after that id come down the ledge route.This summer with my shiney new rack,lm going for observatory ridge,and tick the ledge route on the way down.Tower ridge was awesome,you will love it.
OP 0153453 19 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Cheers for the advice, now the girlfriend seems set on the dolomites cause a can go to Venice aswell, can't complain. Still gonna find a weekend for tower ridge, cheers.
In reply to 0153453:

We climbed Centurion, walked back to the base where we had left our sacks, then strolled up Tower Ridge with them and over to where we had camped in Glen Nevis. IIRC TR took us about an hour.
 Billhook 22 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Somehow think the .Dolomites will have the better weather than Scottish summer.
 JLS 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

But Lochaber boast's more modern Via Ferratta...
 Jamie B 22 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

You shouldn't need to "build up" to Tower Ridge, it's pretty straightforward - mostly scrambling.
OP 0153453 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Jamie B:

More a case of building up to the exposure. I've done a lot of high stuff but the girlfriend hasn't, despite the climbing ability. Intending to pick off a few scrambles or diffs in the lakes beforehand too. I'd hate to commit to tower ridge and her not like the height, though I really don't think that'll be the case.
 Jamie B 23 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

In which case think about things like the Aonach Eagach and Curved Ridge in Glencoe. And give me a shout if you need to hire a guide!
 Nathan Adam 23 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453: Tower Ridge is a superb scrambling route but do it on a good day if you've never done any big routes like that before.

Why not do two days on the Ben with a night in the CIC ? Something like Raeburns Arete on the side of NE Buttress ? Never done it before but apparently a superb *** Severe, and then a day on Tower Ridge ?

AlH 23 Feb 2014
In reply to 0153453:

If you want a lower level day lot of nice options in your range in Glen Nevis 3 Pines, Styx Buttress Right Wall are nice VDiffs and the Gutter (Diff) or Secretaries Direct (Sev).
Most of the rock climb on Ben Nevis are quite long and committing but if the weather is good they are great (watch out for loose rock if you are used to shorter or less mountainous venues).
As Jamie says Curved Ridge and Aonach Eagach may be good warm ups for Tower Ridge. Much of it is easy but there a few spots where a rope will be welcome and being able to transition quickly from pitched climbing to a quicker system of movement and back again (and knowing when it appropriate for your party to do so) will make your day faster.
Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...