UKC

Self-build camper insurance...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Justin T 12 Feb 2014
OK, so I know the standard answer here ... Adrian Flux.

- however -

Initial quote from them (they're calling back tomorrow) is quite high, as in double the price of cheapest standard van insurance from Auto Trader's comparison. This surprised me after recommendations on here I was expecting them to cut below anything I'd seen elsewhere.

So currently I have just a van (well I don't have it yet but it's paid for), I'm now considering whether it's worth doing a 'proper' conversion at all. I think the problem may be that I have asked for business usage as it's going to be my main vehicle (and home - eek!) as of the end of the month, which seems compatible with van insurance but doesn't seem to overlap with the expectations of motorhome insurers.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is in a similar position and what you've done? Stay registered as van and stick with van insurance (in which case what about carrying gas cylinder and making sure contents are properly covered) or go the motorhome route in which case who do you use who supports business use?

Any advice appreciated!

Ta!
Justin
 StuDoig 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Justin T:

Try NFU mutual, for the same cover they were hundreds and hundreds of pounds cheaper than adrian flux. I really believe that AF trade on being the "standard" answer when folk as about self convert van insurance.

Ours was a basic conversion though (sleeping platforms, insulation, a couple of hobs and a grill) but adrian flux and most other insurers wanted a fortune to insure us.

When I asked NFU about the changes, their comment back was "hahaha, that's nothing compared to what we get asked to insure by farmers!!".

The service we've had from them has been fantastic as well when we had a claim a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Stuart
OP Justin T 12 Feb 2014
In reply to StuDoig:

Brilliant, thanks for the tip I'll get onto them!
 crayefish 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Justin T:

> OK, so I know the standard answer here ... Adrian Flux.

That was what I was going to say... they insure my rally car pretty cheaply and it's self built. Strange it's so high from them. But as another option, try Lancaster Insurance. I used to use them and they handled mods well.

But StuDoig's suggestion is also a very good one.
 Matt Schwarz 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Justin T:

i went with brentacre, half the price of AF and will cover any non performace upgrades.
In reply to Justin T:

I've just got a van too and in the process of converting it. I went with Aviva for now but its insured as a van at the minute. I asked about modifications to the inside and they seemed fine with it and said just let them know when i do any major changes. they were a fair bit cheaper than the best prices from comparison sites too.
 CarolineMc 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Justin T:

I struggled with this too. Nfu were amazingly helpful and lovely. Quoted £750 which was way cheaper than AF (and included breakdown cover). Then I spoke to brentacre and paid £370. Great service. Also get boomerang key cover for free. Co:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...