UKC

Missing Wesley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 12 Feb 2014
470 contributions
ran for months
robust discussion
strong views
contributions from punters and pro's

whats not to like

bring back Wesley I say
 Mountain Llama 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly: plus 1

xplorer 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Yes definitely! Wes blatantly does a better job at the conditions reports for the lakes than anyone else, obviously it helps that he is out all the time.

Yet certain individuals carried on the winter conditions preaching.

The reports obviously helped more than just climbers. Walkers, skiers etc.
 xplorer 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:
Paddy Cave's reports are also good, but 1 a week is hardly helping anyone. No offence
Post edited at 20:52
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Cheers guys much appreciated, gutted it's been pulled, this debate of 30 thousand people did more for the Lakes protection than the stupid leaflet going round.

Just like Church Beck even this has been passed over to people with a financial interest in the hills, hardly fair imo other people have business's too, nothing against Paddy like he's a top bloke with a good business.
OP John Kelly 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

why pulled, don't get it?
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> why pulled, don't get it?

neither do I mate, no real explanation given, I have seen a lot worse arguing on other threads without any bother.

It's all to do with the Lakes conditions police imo, they only want the Lakes for themselves.
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

The way things are going we will be paying per summit or route pretty soon.
 Si Withington 12 Feb 2014

To be fair, I was starting to get RSI from scrolling down to the latest post
SethChili 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

I'm confused .
What has been pulled ?
Why has it been pulled ?
Why is it of such grave concern ?

smithaldo 12 Feb 2014

Here's an idea as to why paddy's reports are on.....

He knows what climbing conditions are.
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to SethChili:

The mods have stopped any comments on the Lakes conditions thread that's been running for over 2 months and as far as far as I can make out only 1 person can give Lakes winter conditions now.

Maybe the mods could clarify this for us?
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to smithaldo:

He may climb harder than I ever can but it don't take a grade VII climber to know when snow is on the ground or when it's firm.
 The New NickB 12 Feb 2014

I think threads auto archive once they get to a certain size, it's been explained before, but I don't know the details.
In reply to SethChili:

I know its confusing Seth but to recap

it looks like the thread(lakes conditions) you posted on 11 feb has been pulled (possibly)

no idea why its been pulled (if indeed it has)

its not of grave concern, more baffling
 The New NickB 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

It has not been pulled, just archived, which means you cannot post on it, I don't know if this is automatic or been done by one of the UKC henchmen!
In reply to The New NickB:

Ahh - now you mention it I think that has cropped up in the past

I hope that is the case - I was very concerned that the hard working Wesley's human rights had been trampled by the merciless tyrany of UKC

Come on Wesley start another 'people's thread'
 Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> Come on Wesley start another 'people's thread'

I did start one straight away but they deleted it completely and sent me an email.

Thanks for your support by the way it's really appreciated.

Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

It was deleted by the UKC henchman it states it at the very end of the thread.
 TobyA 12 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

It's just been locked. It's still there you just can't add to it. Wes can just start a new thread after his next trip out where he says what the weather is doing, and presumably Dave Cumberland can chime in on that too with his normal, "that's not real winter". Then Xplorer can post some angry non-sequitur about the armchair-bound (that will probably confuses me as they normally do, although I'm not allowed to say that anymore) and life will go on much as normal I imagine.
 TobyA 12 Feb 2014

> It was deleted by the UKC henchman

Can you not see this? http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=572953

Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

yes and it states something like this thread has caused us so many problems we are deleting it!

Just as it seemed to be getting nasty again.
 TobyA 12 Feb 2014

> yes and it states something like this thread has caused us so many problems we are deleting it!

No it doesn't Wes. Do Alan the credit of actually stating what he wrote.
In reply to John Kelly:

final post

Alan James - UKC and UKH - on 16:03 Wed - www.ukclimbing.com

This thread has caused us so many problems that I am now locking it.

Please continue further discussion on Lakes Conditions on Paddy's 'Official' thread here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=577893 . This will be renewed from time to time with a fresh conditions update in a new thread.

Alan

poor do Alan

smithaldo 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonathan Yates:

Wesley= clueless
Paddy = clued up

In reply to John Kelly:

I personally really liked the robust discussions, the one eyed condition reports, the enthusiastic punter stuff (I'm sub punter bye the bye).
From the high number of contributions and views I was not the only fan.

Professional reports are really handy but are to some extent adverts for the services of outdoor providers, the joy of the 'Wesley' thread was it's anarchistic views and discussions, a reflection of the enthusiastic grassroots activist - refreshing and a shame UKC didn't feel able to support it
 TobyA 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonathan Yates:

Is Wesley banned from posting then? Is he not allowed to start another thread?
 xplorer 13 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

You're a typical politician dude.
 xplorer 13 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

"(that will probably confuses me as they normally do, although I'm not allowed to say that anymore) and life will go on much as normal I imagine."

I'm a little "confuses"

Seen as though you love checking my spelling for me, I thought I'd return the favour.

Much love dude
 Alyson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Is Wesley banned from posting then? Is he not allowed to start another thread?

He has stated further up this thread that he did start another one, and it was immediately pulled.
 xplorer 13 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

So when's paddy actually going to start posting daily, condition reports?

I hope they are not just going to be posted, when the routes he climbs come in. If UKC and paddy want to join forces on this, then surely you should do a better job than Wes, which you simply ain't doing!

Walkers, skiers etc etc, have used the Lakes Conditions Thread. Not just Winter Climbers.

UKC will no doubt get more hassle and probably loose a few supporters, over this bullshit, I would reinstate a community Lake District Conditions Thread if I were you.
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Just woke up and Kentmere is looking absolutely caked right down to valley level, looks very white on Red Screes too, can't see much else from the window but can't wait to get out in it this weekend.

Please can you post your reports to the latest UKC Lakes Conditions report. Do this as often as you like.

There is no need to have a single massive thread on this subject, it makes more sense (and saves us bandwidth) if Paddy makes his Conditions reports when he does (weekly isn), and others add to that thread. This leaves shorter threads that are more specific to the recent period.

Linking to the thread by Paddy Cave was not saying no-one else can contribute reports.

Here is the thread - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=577893

Locking this one now.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...