UKC

Recommend a Creagh Dhu book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gergosantha 13 Feb 2014
I'm interested in the history of this mountaineering club - please recommend me some books, particularly about the club, rules etc. Cheers!
In reply to sgergo:

Not sure there is one on the club as such, but there's a biography of leading light John Cunningham called Creagh Dhu Climber, which presumably might be useful.

jcm
OP gergosantha 13 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Thanks jcm. Amazon gave me a couple of hits on 'Creagh Dhu' but it is difficult to decide just on those book descriptions.
In reply to sgergo:

Also Rope Boy has some anecdotes of DG's time with the CD, including maybe a chapter. I recall Patsy Walsh features prominently. I don't think there's much about the club rules, though. I'm not sure there were too many of those. There's also some stuff in MacInnes' book, though I can't remember its name. And, if you've not read it, Alan Austin's essay on Clachaig Gully in Glencoe gives a good insight, as do some of Harold Drasdo's remarks in Original Route, featuring his attempt to repeat Gallows Route.

But there are lots of glimpses in climbing literature, of course.

jcm
OP gergosantha 13 Feb 2014

Cheers! This is just plenty of material to do my 'research' on.
 OMR 13 Feb 2014
In reply to sgergo:

Creagh Dhu Climber does indeed have a fair bit about the club and the characters in its heyday, and is a cracking good read into the bargain.
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2014
In reply to OMR:
> (In reply to sgergo)
>
> Creagh Dhu Climber does indeed have a fair bit about the club and the characters in its heyday, and is a cracking good read into the bargain.

It does feature probably the worst ending of any book I've read though.
 Colin Moody 13 Feb 2014

> There's also some stuff in MacInnes' book, though I can't remember its name.

Call Out?
 Doug 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

or Beyond the Ranges ?
OP gergosantha 14 Feb 2014
In reply to sgergo:

Ordered 'Call Out' and 'Beyond the Ranges'. Thanks guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...