UKC

Ditch the Saltire, add the Dragon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 13 Feb 2014
So... if Scotland does vote yes (I actually hope they don't), what to do about the Union Flag?

Well, I for one think we should finally put the Welsh dragon in the flag! I do love the Union Flag but would be strange to have the Saltire in there if Scotland leave. It's about time us Welshies were represented on the flag; after all the Welsh flag is one of the coolest around.

Any thoughts how that might look?
richyfenn 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Remove the blue and put green in the bottom half with the dragon in one of the green bits perhaps? It'll make it so much easier to fly it the right way up too
OP crayefish 13 Feb 2014
In reply to richyfenn:

> Remove the blue and put green in the bottom half with the dragon in one of the green bits perhaps? It'll make it so much easier to fly it the right way up too

Can't dragons fly upside down?
richyfenn 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I suppose a barrel roll wouldn't be out of the question
Removed User 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

We've had this topic on here several times, and no one ever agrees on what it should look like, or what should be done.

Personally, I think leave alone, it is fine the way it is. The union jack is so ingrained in the eyes of the world that a change is so unnecessary; not having the jocks as part of the union won't matter one bit. Not to mention the cost associated with changing it. Not worth worrying about, let's move along now.
OP crayefish 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> We've had this topic on here several times, and no one ever agrees on what it should look like, or what should be done.

If everyone agreed it wouldn't be much of a discussion
ccmm 13 Feb 2014

If we can't have "your" pound you can't have our Saltire.

PS drop the "Jocks".
 teflonpete 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> So... if Scotland does vote yes (I actually hope they don't), what to do about the Union Flag?

> Well, I for one think we should finally put the Welsh dragon in the flag!

Sign me up for that, I'd love to have the Welsh dragon on the Union Flag.

Red cross of St George, red saltire of St Patrick on a white background and the Welsh dragon in the middle surrounded by a green oval.

*Caveat - The above in the event of Scottish independence, if they decide to stay in the Union then keep the saltire of St Andrew too. Either way, I'd love to have big red dragon on our flag.
 teflonpete 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Craig Mc:

> If we can't have "your" pound you can't have our Saltire.

> PS drop the "Jocks".

You can have the pound, you just can't tell us what to do with ours.

Regardless of that (the subject of a different thread) I'd still like us to have the dragon too.
 Neil Williams 13 Feb 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Yeah, I like the idea of the dragon in the middle as well.

Neil
 toad 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

perhaps in future all new design union flags could have a small cylinder of butane sewn into them so that on official days, such as the Queens Birthday(s) it could belch fire. On state funerals it could solemly emit black smoke. It would certainly show the US what a proper flag burning looks like
OP crayefish 13 Feb 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Either way, I'd love to have big red dragon on our flag.

Would look epic. Second only to Mozambique in terms of a 'don't f*ck with us' flag! lol

Paul F 13 Feb 2014

> The union jack is so ingrained in the eyes of the world

Only at sea
OP crayefish 13 Feb 2014
In reply to toad:

> perhaps in future all new design union flags could have a small cylinder of butane sewn into them so that on official days, such as the Queens Birthday(s) it could belch fire. On state funerals it could solemly emit black smoke. It would certainly show the US what a proper flag burning looks like

Bahahaha that is the post of the year in my opinion. Awesome idea!
 jimtitt 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Paul F:

> Only at sea

:~)
 The Lemming 13 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I thought that only real countries could have a flag?
OP crayefish 13 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> I thought that only real countries could have a flag?

Playing with fire there! lol. Anyone can have a flag though. Military divisions, principalities, provinces, counties, you name it.
 graeme jackson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Paul F:
> Only at sea

possibly not...
Graham Bartram (born 18 July 1963), a British vexillologist who is currently (2013) the Secretary-General for Congresses of the Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques and the Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute, when interviewed on the BBC Broadcasting House programme on 13th October 2013, stated that either name was perfectly valid whatever the purpose. He stated that the theory that the flag should only be referred to as Union Jack when flown at sea was an idea which was initiated in the Victorian era - however there is no historical veracity to the notion
cb294 13 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

No, but real countries NEED a flag:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTduy7Qkvk8&
 teflonpete 13 Feb 2014
In reply to graeme jackson:

What?

The Secretary-General for Congresses of the Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques can just jog on, I'm not being told what we can call the Union flag by a bunch of Johny Foreigners, particularly those from the other side of the English Channel. They'll be trying to rename that the Dunkirk Straits or something too I imagine. ;0)
 Banned User 77 13 Feb 2014

I think so to.. there's enough to sort out lets just leave the flag.

It'll be interesting what will happen in sports, if British championships will restructure. Surely they must. But that would harm Scottish athletes. Certainly in Wales we always aimed at British Champs events because it was the only way to get good competition. It'd be a shame for all if the numbers fell.

Infact, Great Britain is the island so there's no reason actually why you still couldn't have the championships of the island..
 Al Evans 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Infact, Great Britain is the island so there's no reason actually why you still couldn't have the championships of the island..

No problem at all, but who do GB sport support for the Olympics and World Championships etc.
 Banned User 77 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Well Scotland will then be IOC and IAAF recognised..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...