UKC

Recent state of Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris murnin 13 Feb 2014
Afternoon all.

Having had a week in the cairngorms booked for 6 months now and even have a free pass from the missus has anyone been on the tops recently. I have been keeping up to date on mwis and sais but would also like some feedback from folk who have been out in it.

cheers in advance
 Webster 13 Feb 2014
In reply to chris murnin:

Was at lurchers crag yesterday. Good conditions top to bottom with no avalanch risk accross the crag (baring a massive thaw). walk back was wind scoured and very icey.
OP chris murnin 13 Feb 2014

Cheers, was beginning to believe the scaremongering, glad to hear folk are still venturing out
 drunken monkey 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Webster:

No avalanche risk? Good ain
 Webster 13 Feb 2014
In reply to drunken monkey:

no cornices and firm neve, and the snow is only a foot or so deep in the heart of central gully
 Anhibian 14 Feb 2014

Anyone know what Oui Oui is like on Creag Dubh? Is it usually in this time of year?
 drunken monkey 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Anhibian:

Havent been across that way, but I'd be fairly confident that it has not been nearly cold enough yet.
 CurlyStevo 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Anhibian:

Oui Oui isn't ever usually in, it comes in to condition during particularly sustained cold periods (to sea level!) only.
Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Anhibian:
It's not cold enough. Tons and tons of snow, but until the other day it was all up high. It's not really very cold at all; I've been watching Glen Shee's ski reports pretty carefully, and a lot of the time the FL is 700m+.
Post edited at 13:50
 Ranger Nic 14 Feb 2014
Absolutely loaded! Just been to count climbers and no-one in Sneachda, despite good access (road and underfoot) and good weather.
Mess of Pottage partly banked out, Patey's route like an interesting grade 2, Aladdin's Mirror has disappeared and the Direct shows only a few feet of free ice. Huge cornices all along the top, particularly above Opening Break, Jacob's Ladder, Forty Thieves, Central, Crotched Gullies, direct finish to Spiral Gully and Red/Goat Track Gully.

During the week a few have reported a fairly scary time on Invernookie and better on Short Circuit and Seam, but the smart guys are abbing in from above rather than plodding all the way up.

Have a look at photies on my album page (RangerNic)

Best,

Nic.
Post edited at 15:25
 Michael Gordon 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Anhibian:

It's barely been freezing at that height for a day this winter!
 Billhook 14 Feb 2014
The flanks and tops have 100 percent cover. Lochnagar was solid snow.
There were hundreds and hundreds of cars at glen shee slopes.
the tops are only a few degrees below zero but gale force winds.
Post edited at 19:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...