UKC

Meall a' Bhuachaille without an axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 13 Feb 2014
Looks a nice day tomorrow

Was thinking of running out to the bothy then heading back along the ridge..

What's it like in Snow? Ok with no axe?

I did it last year at this time without an axe but there was essentially now snow.. what are conditions like? Will it just be soft snow I can easily walk in or will I need proper gear?

I remember it being a bit of a Moel Eilio.. so fine unless there is a hard crust.
 Andy Nisbet 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I don't think you'll need an axe. If you're on the path, it's not steep enough to slide.
 kwoods 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Agree with Andy. Did Geal-charn at Drumochter the other day, no axe needed.
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Meall a Bhuchaille rarely carries much snow. You'll be reet.
 Mark Bull 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

SAIS report says "Deep drifts at all altitudes - very hard going on foot. Knee deep at 550m!"
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
>Knee deep at 550m!"

No need for crampons in soft snow is there?

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks all, thought it should be OK, will just see whilst I climb. Realise it's not going to be an easy run in such deep powder.
 Ron Walker 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
> Thanks all, thought it should be OK, will just see whilst I climb. Realise it's not going to be an easy run in such deep powder.

Really not that deep at that height though icy where scoured!
 GerM 13 Feb 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
Was on Meall a' Bhuchaille today, there is snow at all levels, but no real accumulations. Paths are quite crusty, firm and slippery in places. It definaitely has potential for slipping about and falling over, but unless injured nothing very consequential. I took an axe, carried it in hand at times, and although I felt it was worth having with me, didn't feel as if i couldn't have managed without.

Didn't use crampons.
Post edited at 22:58
In reply to GerM:
thanks.. I'll give it a look, but have a lower level run out to nethy bridge planned if it doesnt look suitable...
Post edited at 23:01
In reply to IainRUK:

It was fine.. not much snow at all, a few slabs of hard icey snow but easily avoided or just took care and soft enough you could kick in in fell shoes.

Nice day, nowhere near as cold as I thought it would, ran from the mouth of morlich around loch morlich to make it a 15 mile loop. nice day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...