UKC

Wythenshawe by-election

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 14 Feb 2014

The full results were:

Mike Kane (Labour): 13,261
John Bickley (UKIP): 4,301
Reverend Daniel Critchlow (Conservatives): 3,479
Mary Di Mauro (Lib Dem): 1,176
Nigel Woodcock (Green Party): 748
Eddy O'Sullivan (BNP): 708
Captain Chaplington-Smythe (Monster Raving Loony): 288
Turnout: 28%

Comments anybody?
NB the Lib Dems lost their deposit.
Post edited at 14:04
 ByEek 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Is there anything to say? Turnout is dismally small in an area of traditional labour voters. Can you conclude anything from such a small sample of effectively one housing estate?
 felt 14 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Not much to say so here's an alternative list.

Mike Kane (Legalise Smack): 13,261
John Bulley (BNP): 4,301
Father Daniel 'Boy' Critchlow (Roman Catholic): 3,479
Mary Di Mauro (Five Star Movement): 1,176
Nigel Snipe-Woodcock (Monster Raving Loony): 748
Eddy O'Sullivan (Horse-Baize Alliance): 708
Captain Chaplington-Smythe (Conservatives): 288
OP Al Evans 14 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Except that labour increased it's majority, however low the turnout isn't that significant?
 toad 14 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

turnout depressed by the weather, whilst I'm generally depressed by the UKs failure to engage, on this occasion I'll forgive them
 FesteringSore 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Mary Di Mauro (Lib Dem): 1,176

> Comments anybody?

> NB the Lib Dems lost their deposit.

Good to know that, despite all their blustering about what they will do when they are in power, the LieDems will never be able to form a government.

In reply to Al Evans: Every time we've done a job recently in Wythenshawe, the piles of election newsletters in each patient's home are stacked high. The overwhelming reaction is that people can't be bothered because all the parties are in it for themselves and don't give a stuff about those on the estate. There is massive apathy in the area, and the weather won't have helped.Can you draw any conclusions? Yes: Russell Brand was right.

Mick Ward 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> The overwhelming reaction is that people can't be bothered because all the parties are in it for themselves and don't give a stuff about those on the estate.

Sadly they're probably right.

Mick
OP Al Evans 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

But Mick, that doesn't necessarily translate to individual MP's or even party members, in my period as a member of the labour party (50 years) until I resigned over Tony Blairs abandonment of clause four and the University Fees issue. I met many politicians who were genuinely concerned about their constituents and their problems.
grithugger 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
I think its great news! A little disconcerting the amount of votes UKIP received.i just wish people would realise that there is no perfect party and they should get involved in the the party that most represents them, if people don't vote or become involved with political parties they will never be be represented.
Post edited at 15:06
 Mick Ward 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Hi Al,

Sorry, missed your post yesterday. I'm sure many party members care deeply; hopefully many MPs do also. Our local MP (a Conservative, as it happens) seems a decent enough man.

But unless one has a large degree of real world experience, a high degree of managerial ability and a willingness to put ones' political career at risk constantly, how likely is it that a politician will make serious inroads into really complex problems?

And the further one climbs up the greasy pole, the greater must be the call for expediency...

I accept I'm out of touch and could well be talking complete balls!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...