UKC

Petition to help our MRT - sign now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattnuttall 15 Feb 2014
There is something important you can do today.

Last week in Strasbourg I (Chris Davies MEP) had a one-to-one meeting with the man at the top for VAT in Europe, the Lithuanian Tax Commissioner Algirdas Šemeta, to personally make the case for our mountain and lowland rescue teams.

In association with mountain rescue teams and individual supporters across the constituency, I am submitting a response to the Commissioner's current VAT consultation with the aim of getting a tax exemption for these voluntary teams.

The Commissioner told me that he was extending the deadline for submissions to the consultation to the end of April. This is great news as it gives us a chance to bring our cause to the attention of even more people.

Of course, the Commissioner and his team weren't in a position to make any hard and fast promises for an exemption. This is after all only the first stage in a long process. But raising the issue with him personally will make sure our cause receives his full attention when they are sifting through hundreds of other responses.

And it was very satisfying to be able to leave him and his team with a big pile of paper printed with the names of the over 3000 supporters that our campaign currently has! A fantastic number.

Come the new deadline on 25 April, I want to be able to electronically submit at least double this number.

Can you help me out?

If you know anyone who's into their rock climbing, fell running, dog walking or even who just appreciates the selfless work done by search and rescue teams who are out there even in the kind of weather we're having now, please share this campaign with them and encourage them to add their name.

They can help support this great cause by adding their names to ours at the following page: http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk/mountain_rescue_eu_vat_consultation

I'll be sure to keep you updated as to developments in the coming months.

With thanks

Chris Davies MEP

Chris Davies MEP
http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk/
 kestrelspl 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mattnuttall:

Done
 JamButty 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mattnuttall:

done, one day one of these campaigns will work, so we'll keep trying.
Ta for spotting it!
 butteredfrog 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mattnuttall:

Done!
 FesteringSore 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mattnuttall:
I've written to my local MP:

"I am taking the liberty of writing to you to ask you to support the efforts of Chris Davies MEP in his call for a VAT exemption for Mountain and Lowland Rescue Teams as part of a wider exemption for all Search and Rescue organisations.

Ever since early childhood I have maintained an affinity for outdoor life in mountainous and wild areas and still pride myself on still being an active mountain walker and trekker. Consequently I have a high regard for the volunteer members of the civilian Mountain Rescue Teams and maintain an interest in their activities. Where possible I personally provide support to the ***** ****** MRT in areas such as fund raising. I am sure you will be aware that the activities of such teams are by no means restricted to assistance or rescues in a mountainous environment. Their expertise has proved invaluable in the event of flooding and the sad circumstances of the disappearance of April Jones of Machynlleth was demonstrative of their enormous contribution and dedication to such events.
Mountain Rescue teams need to hold considerable quantities of equipment much of which is quite expensive and has to be purchased by means of voluntary contributions and donations.

Rather than writing to you in too much detail I am taking the liberty of copying a link to Chris Davies relevant web page.

I appreciate that this is a matter being dealt with in the ivory towers of Europe but I am sure that, as MP for a constituency bordering one of the most popular mountainous areas in the UK, you will be keenly interested in this matter. Consequently I would ask you to do whatever is possible to support this VAT exemption."
Post edited at 11:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...