UKC

Area Around the Ben Ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Got a job rob 15 Feb 2014
Hello all. I will be in Scotland from the 21st to the 26th in the Fort William area. I am looking for day trips and possible an over night stat in a Bothy. I dont know the area and so am looking for tips. Help much wanted.
 mcdweeb 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Got a job rob:
Given the current weather situation, if it lasts, then a couple of bad weather alternatives for touring would be to use the piste facilities at Glencoe (Meall a Bhuiridh) and Aonoch Mor to either tour or use the tows as a navigation tool in a whiteout! Exercise but a bit artificial.
There isn't much touring done on Ben Nevis unless the snow level drops to the valley partly because of the walk in but mainly also because in bad weather the plateau on skis would be a very serious proposition with lots of dangerous ground about. In the unlikely event of good weather then its pretty good using the Allt a Mhuillin.
The Laggan hills to the east give good tours on Beinns Teallach and a Chaoruinn, the Easains, the Geal Charn/Creag Pitridh group and Creag Meagaidh is excellent for a nice round tour. All starting about 250m elevation.
South of the Ben, the Achaladair hills can be good.
A bit further afield are the Monadhliath and Cairngorms if the weather looks better in the east(it often is) and they're only about an hours drive away.
Have fun
OP Got a job rob 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mcdweeb:

thanks for the info. I was trying to stay away from the gorms as I have been there before. but I will have a look at my maps and see what seems safe.
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014

There are two bothies in the bit of Lochaber between the railway line and the Ben: Luibeilt and Lairig Leacach. I've never stayed overnight in either, but both were reasonably inhabitable (and open) the last time I passed, and both are in wonderful and quite strategic positions.

At least two bothies--maybe there are others I don't know about.
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014
In reply to mcdweeb:
> There isn't much touring done on Ben Nevis unless the snow level drops to the valley partly because of the walk in but mainly also because in bad weather the plateau on skis would be a very serious proposition with lots of dangerous ground about. In the unlikely event of good weather then its pretty good using the Allt a Mhuillin.

> The Laggan hills to the east give good tours on Beinns Teallach and a Chaoruinn, the Easains, the Geal Charn/Creag Pitridh group and Creag Meagaidh is excellent for a nice round tour. All starting about 250m elevation.

Mcdweeb is surely right about all this-- I really want to ski Ben Nevis, but there's no way I'm even trying in a whiteout. I don't fancy taking a wrong bearing and skiing Orion Direct or Centurion by mistake.

Chno Dearg looks nice and smooth

Post edited at 16:08
 OwenM 15 Feb 2014

The Gray Corries. Stob Choire Claurigh and Stob Coire an Laoigh from Corriechoille farm descend into Coire Choimhlidh and back to the start point via the old tramway.

Stob Ban from either Corriechoille farm or the bothy in Lairig Leacach.

Beinn Teallach and Beinn a Chaorainn from west end of Loch Laggan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...