UKC

OMG Mitchell Johnson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Raises the question of whether England were as bad as we thought. Doubt the Saffirs will collapse psychologically like us.
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014

He bowls to the left
he bowls to the right
Mitchell's bowling
has changed all right
 BnB 15 Feb 2014
I admire Johnson hugely, for his magnificent moustache of course, but above all for the way he has rebuilt his confidence, technique and control, normally only achieved by a drop in pace, to such an incredible extent that he is back faster than ever, and exciting the sort of fear in batsman I haven't witnessed since "Whispering Death" stalked opening batman the workd over. Test cricket is alive and kicking.
Post edited at 16:15
OP Morgan Woods 15 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

Test cricket as entertainment.....now that's something!
OP Morgan Woods 15 Feb 2014

and from the guardian:

Hello. Somewhere in the world, Steve Waugh is smiling. Okay, he’s not smiling – he didn’t do that on his wedding day – but he’s happy inside because Australia have taken mental disintegration to a level beyond his most sadistic dreams.

Waugh’s Australia brutalised teams in this manner, but they were playing against established inferiors. Australia are marmalising apparent superiors, and this only months after the shocking nadir of Lord’s. It’s hard to think of a precedent in Test cricket for a change in form as spectacular as this. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime turnaround sparked by a once-in-a-generation bowler

As a consequence, Australia’s Mental Disintegrators have a scarily powerful momentum that even they won’t fully understand, and after just three-and-a-bit days out of 15 South Africa are already under asphyxiating pressure to save the series. They look like a team suffering from shock. The upside is pretty considerable, however: if they come back from this mauling to win the series, it will be the mother of all reverse chokes and confirm beyond all reasonable doubt that they are one of the all-time-great sides.

In many ways the second Test starts here. South Africa need some players to get runs and show that Mitchell Johnson is not in fact the Keyser Soze of the cricket world. (He is.) The game is lost, but an honourable defeat – 342 all out, say, with a hundred from Hashim Amla or AB de Villiers – would make them feel a lot better going into the second Test.
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014

It's been a while since a bowler was beating batsmen up like this. It's pretty extraordinary. No one wants to face him, that's obvious.
 Postmanpat 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> It's been a while since a bowler was beating batsmen up like this. It's pretty extraordinary. No one wants to face him, that's obvious.

I think one of the problems is that batsmen have so little experience of it. When Lillee, Thompson and any of about a dozen West Indians were around at least you knew what was coming!
 Bobling 15 Feb 2014

Wow, I'm so happy for the guy. I remember when we used to cheer when he came on! Sport at its fascinating best.

Back to the glory days of Aussie bowling...

youtube.com/watch?v=OjCEI7Kbe8w&

youtube.com/watch?v=mea0N8BOiVs&
 rwong9 16 Feb 2014

Saw him at the MCG 2 months ago. The atmosphere was electric. Awesome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...