UKC

Sallopettes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex the Alex 15 Feb 2014
Im busy kitting myself out for my first winter in scotland (weather permitting...) and was looking for a bit of advice.

I've currently got a pair of heavy duty BR2 Musto salopettes for offshore work. They are very waterproof, very tough, and, from when ive worn them, not too sweaty. As such I was wondering whether they might be suitable for winter outings? It would save me a having to buy soft shells, but i am worried how breathable they are/need to be. Any thoughts?

Similarly ive a pair of ski salopettes, but i figured they would be too flimsy and not waterproof enough.

Cheers an all, Al
 d_b 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex the Alex:

They certainly look tough enough, though I have no idea about breathability. How well can you vent them for the walk in?

If you do decide to look elsewhere I can recommend the Montane Extreme Salopettes. I have an old version that uses microfleece rather than the current pile, but even they are toasty warm in absolutely minging conditions.

I tend to agree that you would destroy most of the ski salopettes I have seen quite quickly.
 Milesy 16 Feb 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Anything designed for marine or fishing I think will not he breathable. Not to sweaty when your using them for their intended purpose but different if you are walking in or out in them. Can you vent them? Someone in my club once wore super waterproof helly Hansen marine gear on the hill and they were drenched from the inside.
 BnB 16 Feb 2014

Wear them once on a long walk in with a big pack and you will find out very fast!! My hunch is you'll soon be rooting around gear shops.
OP Alex the Alex 16 Feb 2014

Hmmm, cheers guys. I figured that would be the case, though I thought Id check here first. I guess I will just have to try them out on a long walk at some point. Thanks again. Al.
 Billhook 16 Feb 2014

I'd do what bnb suggests. Try them out and see how they work for walking.
 Jim Fraser 16 Feb 2014

One approach to Scottish winter kit that lends itself to all levels of budget is the microfibre and insulation combination that is unified in implementations such as Buffalo and Paramo. Essentially, it is the same as the Ventile and woollens of the 1950s but using lighter modern fabrics.

If you have a microfibre windproof layer treated with water repellent with a layer(s) of wicking insulating material, such as polyester fleece or polypropylene, under it then it should behave in the correct manner. The outer layer will resist wind and rain and the inner layer(s) produce a temperature gradient that will drive moisture outwards.

You can do this pretty cheaply but accurate material assessment and selection is vital. The alternative is to pay for Paramo or Montane to do the thinking for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...