UKC

Recommend "shred-proof " gaiters please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe gallacher 16 Feb 2014
Recently shredded a pair of (thin/old) nylon gaiters and a pair of good trousers on long walk-ins & exits in very deep snow and on some iced up ridge exits on my crampons. Any recommendation please for very tough..crampon proof gaiters.
 martinph78 16 Feb 2014
In reply to joe gallacher:

Anything with cordura rather than thin nylon will be tougher. Like the Rab Latok Alpine Gaiter for example. I find that, better crampon technique, and McNett Seam Grip does the job

> Recently shredded a pair of (thin/old) nylon gaiters and a pair of good trousers on long walk-ins & exits in very deep snow and on some iced up ridge exits on my crampons. Any recommendation please for very tough..crampon proof gaiters.
Haha crampon proof! Do they exist?
You could look at Outdoor Research gaiters. They do a couple of models for more durable use in mountaineering. I have a pair of the Crocodiles and they look to have good reinforcement areas and feel that they are built to last, but with mine it's too early to say how durable they will be as I have not had them long and not used them much so far.
 Jim Fraser 16 Feb 2014

Canvas.
http://www.trailwise.co.uk/snolock-canvas-gaiter

If they rip just sew them up with cotton thread and they are good as new.
 Martin W 16 Feb 2014
In reply to joe gallacher: IMO there's no such thing as shred-proof gaiters: you basically have to regard them as expendable items to a certain extent. As Martin1978 suggests, though, better technique when wearing crampons definitely helps. Catching a crampon point in a gaiter is a good way to end up falling over - not the sort of thing that's conducive to continued health and wellbeing if it happens on, say, an iced up ridge exit...
 AdrianC 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser: +1 for canvas. I have a Macpac pair about 18 years old & still no crampon holes!

alps_p 16 Feb 2014

Why not buy the £6.99 gaiters from Trespass and assume they will last one or 2 trips
 The Potato 16 Feb 2014

search ebay for army dpm gaiters
the ones with the wire underfoot, they are pretty tough
Dorq 16 Feb 2014

Toughest I've seen are the Macpac, as mentioned above. Needlesports have them in tall and women's only, on sale at the moment. You have to make a cord or wire for the instep - I used some dyneema cord.
 mattsccm 17 Feb 2014

Can 2nd both the trailwise and the army ones. Try the latter on though as fit is "different".
if in time they lose waterproofness use some Thompsons water seal
 Mark Bull 17 Feb 2014

Are your crampons new and extra sharp? If so, you might want to use a file to take the edge off them a wee bit.
 gethin_allen 17 Feb 2014

better fitting gaiters would probably do that job as much as anything, some gaiters just refuse to stay up and then when they bunch up they are easily snagged. I bought some RAB latok ones cheaply when I had the chance and so far they have been great; they are close fitting, stay up and so far haven't been caught or torn.
In reply to Dorq:

I got a pair of them at the start of this winter. One of the bottom poppers has already fallen off. Material itself seems robust though.

I used cord for the instep but it's fraying fast. Thinking i'll replace with cable ties
 UKH Forums 17 Feb 2014
This thread was started in the WINTER CLIMBING forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Timmd 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin W:
> IMO there's no such thing as shred-proof gaiters: you basically have to regard them as expendable items to a certain extent. As Martin1978 suggests, though, better technique when wearing crampons definitely helps. Catching a crampon point in a gaiter is a good way to end up falling over - not the sort of thing that's conducive to continued health and wellbeing if it happens on, say, an iced up ridge exit...

Somebody in a group my Dad used to climb with was killed by catching his crampon point in the top of his gaiter, and falling back down a gully.
Post edited at 09:54
 The Potato 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Timmd:

gaiters are pretty close fitting usually, so would it have been more of a risk if he had just trousers on - they tend to be more baggy and more likely to catch?
using crampons definately has its risks though
 Martin W 18 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm: Conversely, gaiters tend to be made of tougher material than trousers and thus more likely to hold on to a crampon point -> loss of balance, whereas trousers are more likely to just rip through.

Both sides of that argument are really just splitting hairs, though. It's definitely preferable to have good enough crampon technique to minimise the risk of impaling trousers, gaiters or even calf (ouch) in the first place.
 Ross B 18 Feb 2014
I have a pair of Hillsound Super Armadillo Gaiters, not cheap and rare in this country but they seem to be really tough, and I like the reverse zip approach to fitting them.
 A9 18 Feb 2014
In reply to alps_p:
> (In reply to joe gallacher)
>
> Why not buy the £6.99 gaiters from Trespass and assume they will last one or 2 trips

gaiters might last longer than u do
better walking like john wayne till u get the hang of it
OP joe gallacher 20 Feb 2014

Thanks folks , lots of good steers.
 mattrm 20 Feb 2014

Better technique and you'll need to line the missus up to patch the inevitable holes.

Also if you can get trousers that are close fitting around the calves, that helps.
 martin.p65 20 Feb 2014

Black Diamond Cirque gaiter is pretty solid after having a play with it in Blacks.

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/hiking-gaiters/cirque-BD701507_cfg.h...

Picture doesn't show how reinforced the inner ankle sections are. Worth a feel if you can get near one.
 Bruce Hooker 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> Canvas.

They look good - Karrimor used to make blue canvas gaiters with a decent zip up the back but they stopped, which is a pity as the nylon ones I've had since aren't much good at all. Canvas is stronger and can also be used a good pillow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...