UKC

Was Savile a wrongun?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 16 Feb 2014
Now then, now then

Lots of famous actors and media dudes have has their day in court following the Yewtree police investigations and found not guilty.

Would Jimmy have been so lucky after his day in court?
 The New NickB 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

You seem rather obsessed by this!

I met Jimmy Saville once, years before I knew of the things he has been accused of, I thought he was a wrongun, my wife at the time thought he was super creepy.
Jim C 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Now then, now then

> Lots of famous actors and media dudes have has their day in court following the Yewtree police investigations and found not guilty.

> Would Jimmy have been so lucky after his day in court?

More interesting to me at least, if Saville had been tried, and also declared innocent, would everyone accept it as they have with others, of would they cry foul.
 Enty 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> You seem rather obsessed by this!

> I met Jimmy Saville once, years before I knew of the things he has been accused of, I thought he was a wrongun, my wife at the time thought he was super creepy.

I've heard that too from friends of mine.

E
 Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> would everyone accept it as they have with others

Have they "accepted it" w.r.t. Jim Davidson and Dave Lee Travis? It doesn't seem that way to me. A lot of muttering about injustice due to convenient (suspicious) "lack of evidence" etc.
 GridNorth 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I met him once. We were the only two sat down to dinner in the Imperial Hotel in Torquay one December many years ago. Very strange bloke and yes a bit creepy.
 ThunderCat 16 Feb 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> I met him once. We were the only two sat down to dinner in the Imperial Hotel in Torquay one December many years ago. Very strange bloke and yes a bit creepy.

My pal says he met him when he was a kid on some local tv show. He says that Saville "signed his balloon"...
 Tom Last 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I saw him once in the restaurant car on the Caledonian Sleeper. That f*ck I wasn't sharing a berth with him!
 Scarab9 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I really don't know and wouldn't want to guess. It is interesting that all the others that have been dragged up since as part of the investigations have been cleared, and certainly on the ones I've read up the evidence was pretty shocking at times so while it's difficult to prove something so dated it does sound like a fair trial was given. That's also hard to say and not feel bad, the crimes they've been accused of are horrendous and there's still a stigma attached due to how poor treatment from the legal system and the public has been for women that suffered similar in the past. However that makes it more rather than less convincing that a trial has cleared them.

A thing to note though, there's no doubt whatsoever that JS was creepy as hell, but while I would cautiously say that it does seem people that appear something are more likely than not to be that thing (in this case a creepy perv, but it goes for a lot of things), but at the same time judging someone guilty of such terrible crimes based on the books cover is dangerous and hugely damaging if they're innocent.

There's an old guy in a little town that was accused, in my mind knowing him quite well, of trying it on with a 15 year old girl recently. Realistically he's fairly socially awkward and overcompensates at times by very obviously making deliberate attempts at being polite and social. From knowing him and witnesses that saw the 'event' he complimented the girl who was an aquaintenances daughter, she told her dad (who's now just been arrested for beating the sht out of a lass he was seeing...the second in the last year...so you can assume he's quite inflamatory). The dad not only reacted pretty viciously but told a lot of scrotes in the area about it and the poor bloke was hounded. I personally have had to walk him home because some young lads were openly waiting for him to leave the pub.

ok, one example and thankfully nothing bad happened except some comments and the poor bloke getting spat in the face a couple of times. But that could have easily ended up with him in hospital or dead if a couple of us hadn't been involved. So a warning on judging folks on how they come across.
Jim C 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Have they "accepted it" w.r.t. Jim Davidson and Dave Lee Travis? It doesn't seem that way to me. A lot of muttering about injustice due to convenient (suspicious) "lack of evidence" etc.

I'm saying nothing, I ventured my 'gut' feeling about one of them after the not guilty verdict , and got hysterics about the thread being pulled!

Enty 16 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

He was a fairly good cyclist you know. He once road in the Tour of Britain back in the 50's.
A friend of mine met him at some function a few years ago.
He said " O'reyt jimmy, still getting on the bike?"
Saville replied:
"Yes, i get on the bike I get off the bike, I get on the bike, I get off the bike"

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...