UKC

The East Side of Glen Shee between Spittal and the ski centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 16 Feb 2014

I skied most of this today. I've been looking at it with some interest for a while now, but today it wasn't my original plan. That was Lochnagar, but I couldn't get to that because there was a queue of traffic stretching all the way from the car-park at the top of the Devil's Elbow to Carn an Daimh. Since I had touring skis and there was perfectly good snow within five minutes' walk on either side of the road, I just pulled into a layby, geared up, and started up the hillside. So did loads of other people

The sun shone. Sastrugi and ice and perfect fluffy powder came and went. Possibly most satisfying of all, the traffic-queue barely moved for over an hour. I got to the top of Glas Maol with a huge grin on my face, and after wondering if I fancied going back over the Cairnwell and down the west side of Glen Shee and deciding I was perfectly happy to just to reverse my route, I contoured my way back round the side of Creag Leacach and the rest of them.

How good was it? How deep is the Pacific? How hot is the sun?
Post edited at 19:20
 MikeR 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Sounds great. I was stuck in work looking at the Glenshee webcam with envy. The car park filling up by mid morning did go some way to helping me persuade a colleague that she should give touring a go.

Oh - give over......honestly!

I toured up to Cairngorm with the intention of getting a half-day on the slope. I got down to queues as long as the nile for all the poma lifts (the Funicular was in the process of being dug out) and they'd stopped selling tickets for the lifts at midday. I resided to just doing a few up and down laps around Coire cas. Knackered now but back on it tomorrow for some piste action (maybe some off piste too).
Tim Chappell 16 Feb 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Yeah, I've never seen Scottish skiing literally at full capacity before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...