UKC

Equipment Found at Harrison's Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sarah Cullen 17 Feb 2014
I found some climbing equipment at Harrison's Rocks this morning - did you leave it there this weekend?
 Trangia 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Sarah Cullen:

I can't believe that anyone would have even contemplated climbing at Harrison's in it's current saturated state. Anyone climbing on sandstone at the moment is acting very irresponsibly due to the fact that this already fragile rock is made much weaker when wet, and they risk causing permanent damage to it.

This issue comes up regularly on UKC. PLEASE don't climb on wet sandstone.
Removed User 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Hang back a bit. It might have been there for several days, or quite a lot longer, for all you know.

Other than that the point of your message is quite correct.

Removed User 17 Feb 2014

Top marks to you for doing the decent thing and trying to return the equipment to it's owner. We need more like you.

rotax123 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Well done OP its the decent thing to do, However, Harrisons has been pretty much unclimbable for months! Steal the swag as punishment to those who did not respect the sandstone.
 Bouldering Ben 17 Feb 2014

Might belong to one of the Reading University Mountaineering Club who went there on Sunday despite me telling them not to as it was too wet.

Obviously fell on deaf ears - keep the kit as punishment.
 Trangia 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Bouldering Ben:

Unfortunately there are still selfish climbers around who persist on climbing on wet sandstone in spite of the publicity given to this subject.

A couple of years ago I was walking past Stone Farm Rocks in the rain when I came across a so called "instructor" instructing a group there. I asked him, politely, not to carry on, but he continued. It was a terrible example to set to newcomers to our sport - shame on him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...