UKC

What grade can I expect our new Springer Spaniel to climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 17 Feb 2014
Just acquired an English springer spaniel puppy, he seems very active and agile, what grade should I start him on?
Tim Chappell 17 Feb 2014
In reply to JimR:

Depends whether you get him to go leashless or not.
 Al Evans 17 Feb 2014
 Choss 17 Feb 2014
In reply to JimR:

One of my dogs once ran up a 5a UK tech grade slab boulder Problem at the Roaches, but he had Trained on the bottom half of the easy way down at Wintours Leap Several Times before that.
OP JimR 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Jings, he had a good go at it judging by the state of the cliff! I'd always thought they'd been done by a drunken shot driller but now I know better!
In reply to JimR:
> Just acquired an English springer spaniel puppy, he seems very active and agile, what grade should I start him on?

He might be good for E1 if you let him dog it.
Post edited at 16:24
 jimtitt 17 Feb 2014
In reply to JimR:

The Swanage pioneer Richard Crewe had a spaniel, while it was a competent mover despite it´s stupid ears and stumpy legs my border collie was far the better climber. On the right route HVD was doable. Richards dog was trained to sit in a rucsack while he jumared out so you might meet it bounding along the bottom of the Boulder Ruckle on a good day!
 Choss 17 Feb 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> He might be good for E1 if you let him dog it.

Thats a Likely tail.

Is it Climbing dog pun Time?

Choss 17 Feb 2014
In reply to JimR:

Photo From a guidebook of a dog climbing Heather wall, Severe, on the cubic block at Brimham

http://i.imgur.com/5hfG9r2.jpg

OP JimR 17 Feb 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

I met Ray McHaffie a few times and I remember that he reckoned his dog could follow him up VS or was it VD .. it was nearly 40 years ago!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...