UKC

Rjukan - the Italian hitch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 17 Feb 2014
Today there was a pair of Italian climbers, middle aged men, in the Upper Gorge. It's said they did Lipton recently. Today in their red jackets they overtook the various teams that were already on Saboterfossen and caused a bit of irritation when they abseiled back down through the ropes.

Next was Nye Vemorkfoss. The first guy led up quickly from the base, directly up to the belay at the end of the hard pitch. He avoided taking the usual route to a ledge with a bolt - where I had already taken stance. I did ask in English if he minded us waiting while he did the route we had already started but it didn't get a response.

So he abseiled down and I set off. Before I reached the left side of the pillar Italian #2 had got in ahead going up the same way. I had the choice of climbing directly behind him, or waiting under a dripping chandelier until he'd finished.

Unfortunately he did not understand the various expressions in various languages that I tried to communicate. And I don't have a command of bad Italian.

Anyway forgive and forget is my motto. It's not a problem.

One thousand krone to anyone who brings me both their heads in a bag.
 crayefish 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Pay attention:

Clearly a continental thing French climbers are known to climb past, crossing over your ropes and even clipping into your pro as they go!
 3leggeddog 17 Feb 2014

Next thing you will be telling us is that you met a rude Frenchman. When you venture away from this green and pleasant land, you cannot expect the savages to behave like gentlemen.

derek.hamilton 17 Feb 2014
I was on Saboterfossen today when these guys climbed passed us. We weren't moving slowly but they climbed past us at the second belay. Later, we were still climbing when they were abseiling back down. I was on a steep section of ice when they pulled their rope down.. the rope landed on my head and got tangled in my rucksack. I then had to hang on with one hand while trying to free their rope with the other. Not fun!
 3leggeddog 17 Feb 2014
In reply to derek.hamilton:

Sabfossen is equipped for abseil, when i climbed it, week before last, it was impossible to walk off, armpit deep snow.

Had you climbed it prepared tto rap back down, you would not have had to carry your rucsac, no tangling problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...