UKC

Help, recommend me a decent Scotch for Dad's 60th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tiffanykate12 17 Feb 2014

Hey

I need to buy my Dad a decent bottle of Scotch, he loves it, I hate it! It's his 60th so I want to get something relatively decent, my budget is around £40?

Help!

wilkie14c 17 Feb 2014
In reply to tiffanykate12:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Tastes like rainbows! You might just get it for £40 at the big supermarkets
 Milesy 17 Feb 2014
For £40 I recommend:

Glendronach 15 year old: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glendronach-15-year-old-revival-whisky...

It is definitely the best value in that price.
 Roguevfr 17 Feb 2014

You really need to know what type of whisky he likes , they come in different categories. Can you find out what "regular" whisky is in his drinks cabinet and go from there.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Milesy:

how come the pound sign isn't working on my posts but fine for other folk? Stupit works computer I guess...

> Hey

> I need to buy my Dad a decent bottle of Scotch, he loves it, I hate it! It's his 60th so I want to get something relatively decent, my budget is around £40?

Please don't make me cry!! Down here in Aus you're lucky to get a decent blended, let alone a single malt at that price .

Daysleeper 17 Feb 2014

It's is such a personal thing...you might think you hate it but so did my wife. We were in Perthshire so a trip to a good quality stockist led to a lot of tasting before settling on Old Pulteney 17. It's pretty much in your price range and is a very drinkable scotch.

Of course if he loves it he probably already has some favourites, look in his drinks cupboards for the bottle that's nearly but not quite empty (saving the last drop for a special day)

He might well appreciate a Springbank. Nothing too wierd about the taste, just an exceptionally nice malt in quite an attractive bottle. Its distilled in Cambeltown which is a little unusual. A whiskey that has quite a following amongst enthusiasts and something you won't find on the shelves of Tesco.

But you can buy it online direct from the distillers

http://www.springbankwhisky.com
 maybe_si 17 Feb 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
Whoops, posted that on my girlfriends login. Tastes like rainbows eh? That's a good enough reason for me, Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin is on order, the happiness of my father now rests on your recommendation!
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

I really hope he'll enjoy it and I'm sure he will. Everyone I know who has tried it loved it. I usually get a large one now and then as a treat to myself when I'm out. Trouble is not many bars outside of Scotchland have it and coupled to that problem is the fact its normally a fiver a measure! I got my old man a bottle for his 70th last year and make a point of having a dram with him everytime i see him. He says I bought it for myself really, he isn't totally wrong!
In reply to wilkie14c:

Port is ace. Whisky is ace. How could a port-finished whisky not be ace?

Quinta Ruban, Talisker Port Ruighe, Bushmills 16, Balvenie Portwood, the port-finished Penderyn...

If you don't like any of those then frankly, life is not for you.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2014
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Not tried the Talisker one, was contemplating a trip to Skye this summer so that could well seal the deal
In reply to wilkie14c:

There's a million great reasons to visit Skye - the climbing, the mountains, the general aceness of everything...

My personal preference is for the 57 Degrees North, but the Port Ruighe is fabulous too. The Distillers Edition is also endearingly bonkers if you're there and fancy something a bit different.

So erm, yes. Go. It's ace.
 kevin stephens 17 Feb 2014

My dad always used to appreciate a bottle of Highland Park (from Orkney)

Always been a big fan of Balvenie, especially their 12yr signature. Suits my more simple palate.

As others say, each to their own. Some like strong and peaty, others will want complex flavours
 dti 18 Feb 2014
Definitely, definitely go on the Talisker tasting tour (in summer you have to book in advance, in winter less so )

Got to try the 25yo. Best whisky ever. However, a little bit expensive at over £200 a bottle.

I would really realy recommend the port ruighe with a wee drop of water in - like drinking fiery butterscotch.

And yes, the rest of skye is amazing, I can't wait to go back this summer!

Sorry, a bit off topic.

Glenrothes do a really nice range, all of which are very drinkable. They also come in really nice bottles (quite short and fat) we've even used ours as a vase for large stemmed flowers...
 Mr Lopez 18 Feb 2014

Surely for his 60th you have to get him either one his age http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4092.aspx or one distilled when he was born http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3557.aspx
 adityahs 18 Feb 2014

I like 16 yr old Lagavulin: wonderfully peaty, getting harder to find, and in your budget.
Award winning Yamazaki is something really left field and excellent.

But as others have said, try find out what he likes, so you get recommendations he may appreciate, rather than a list of everyone's individual favourites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...