UKC

Lakes Esoterica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 18 Feb 2014
Having done the girdle traverse of St Sundays last weekend and frankly had a lot better time than we thought we would I was wondering what other peoples unexpected hidden gems were.

I'd also add Chicken Variation on Dove Crag, despite its two stars the guide makes is sound like a bit of a poor relation to dove Crag Gully.

And as an aside, a question to those who are familiar with the bit of crag, is it reasonably easy to link the top of Direct Route on Scafell Shamrock into Deep Ghyll Integrale? I'd always assumed so, but you never know!
 Bob Bennett 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Exile:

Yes , climbed this combination in the early 70`s memory a bit unsure but the direct route finishes on Lords Rake so you go left to start Deep Ghyll Integrale. Incidentally, my edition of the guide gives the first ascent of DGI in the 1990`s at grade 3. Seem to remember that the slanting gully feature to the ledge is very easy but the rib bit we found very hard. Never recorded this ascent as we didnt class it as a winter climb having struggled up the rock rib!
OP Exile 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Bob Bennett aka Last Thursday:

Thanks Bob - how times change!
In reply to Exile:

Hmmm. Interesting topic, on the 2 star but worth more I'd definitely add

West Waterfall gully, Pillar. It's not grade IV when lean either!

The grade II that heads up the right side of Engineer's slabs area (Gable End) is also very good (and also not grade II!)

Ramp it up, Dollywagon. Great exposure for a supposed grade II, makes a cheeky solo!

Have you been looking for more quality esoteric routes on St Sunday Would have texted you on Saturday but I lost your number on my old phone...

NMM
 wilkie14c 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
> (In reply to Exile)

> The grade II that heads up the right side of Engineer's slabs area (Gable End) is also very good (and also not grade II!)

Pinnacle ridge/route/ramp or something?
 LakesWinter 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Exile:

Hmmm, good thread. I thought Chicken Variation was a bit random and wandering, though the ice scenery is pretty good. Maybe I was just disappointed that DCG was a bit too thin that day.

I guess Rampsgill Head is a bit mainstream now, but that North Pinnacle Ridge is really good - 2 decent pitches and a nice pinnacled bit to end on.

OP Exile 18 Feb 2014

I wouldn't say it's worked out but I think the most continuous lined have been climbed, a few ideas though!

I emailed Lakeswinter my mobile number so you can get it from him fella.
OP Exile 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Exile:

Anybody done Traverse of the Sods on the North side of Sharp Edge - don't know why but that's always caught my attention.
 3leggeddog 19 Feb 2014
In reply to Exile:

yeah, its not great, none of the foule crag routes are wonderful.

the direct route, dgi combination is good, perhaps better if approached from cascade.

under heavy snow, dgi is as good as the eastern traverse
In reply to Exile:

Thought you might have a few ideas! We nearly saw you on the crag on Sunday, got a good view of it across the valley though If you need a partner give me a shout. There's 1 line in particular which I reckon could be fairly tough but sounds great.

Shame it doesn't quite look cold enough for it on Saturday

NMM
OP Exile 20 Feb 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Thanks for that, I'll cross traverse of the sods off the 'maybe one day' list then.
OP Exile 20 Feb 2014

Very mild here now with rapidly vanishing snow line. Is your mobile number still the same on your new phone?
In reply to Exile:

Thought it might be, shame all that lower level snow will be wasted. Yeah, the number's still the same. Should still be some useful snow around if the temps drop to firm things up before the next thaw. Dollywagon N was ridiculously buried. Hopefully enough for some good gully action in March!

NMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...