UKC

Weight vest for climbing/running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 roelq 18 Feb 2014
Hi,

I weigh 58 kg (128 lbs), so for me approaching a climb with a 10-15 kg backpack, and climbing with like 8 kg extra weight can be quite tough. Therefore I was thinking of buying a weight vest to train both climbing (endurance) and running with some extra weight (5 kg max or so).

What are your opinions and would you have an idea about a good quality/not too expensive vest?

Cheers,
Roel
 cb_6 18 Feb 2014
In reply to roelq:

I can't speak from personal experience but I wouldn't recommend either. If you really wish to climb with extra weight, put your trad rack on your harness (if you own one). Otherwise, just climb harder routes. Climbing with a weight vest is generally not recommended since it messes with your centre of gravity.

As for running, no need to mess your joints by adding weight. Walking with a weight vest maybe, but then you might as well just walk with your rucksack on. Seems pointless to invest money in something when you already have tools for the job.
 JIMBO 18 Feb 2014
In reply to cb_6:

> Climbing with a weight vest is generally not recommended since it messes with your centre of gravity.

This is true but if you are training strength and that is the focus then it doesn't matter. I have used weight jackets up to 20kg for pull ups, deadhangs and campusing. Really works the forearms...
 cb_6 18 Feb 2014
In reply to roelq:
Pull ups, deadhangs and campusing isn't climbing.

EDIT: by which I mean, he asked if he should climb with a weight vest on, and I'm saying he probably shouldn't. Whether he adds weight for a strength training exercise is a different question.
Post edited at 15:16
 martinph78 18 Feb 2014
In reply to roelq:

Hill intervals would be better than running with a weight vest on.
 alooker 18 Feb 2014
In reply to cb_6:
Actually climbing with a pack would be a silly way to train strength/increase difficulty, deadhangs/bar work etc would be fine with a vest though surely, your body isn't going to forget where your cog is when you're deadhanging.

The desired result of the OP is to be better when climbing with a pack. Keeping it simple and very specific, a great way to train for climbing with a pack on would be to climb with a pack on. Typically you're on easier ground when carrying a pack, so perhaps doing 4x4s on a steady route might prove fruitful.

As for running with a pack, I wouldn't, esp if you're going to load it with that much weight. If it's specifically for approaches general running will help, if you want something more specific maybe try doing hill reps with a pack at a consistent and determined walking pace.

Is there no way to cut down on your pack weight?
Post edited at 15:19
 cb_6 18 Feb 2014
In reply to alooker:

> Actually climbing with a pack would be a silly way to train strength/increase difficulty,

Um, where did I say he should climb with a pack?
 alooker 18 Feb 2014
In reply to cb_6:

You didn't, I was agreeing with you, don't get paranoid now.
 alooker 18 Feb 2014

Perhaps to be clearer, or TL;DR

Weight vest - good as a precise variable for exercises that have few variables. I.e. Deadhangs

Doing laps of easier routes with a weighted rucksack - you'll get better at climbing with a weighted rucksack on.

Hard climbing with added weights - you'll get stronger for sure but your technique will change too. Much better to just climb harder routes.

Just my 2p
Post edited at 15:44
 cb_6 18 Feb 2014
In reply to alooker:

Oops, my bad.
 jkarran 18 Feb 2014
In reply to roelq:
> I weigh 58 kg (128 lbs), so for me approaching a climb with a 10-15 kg backpack, and climbing with like 8 kg extra weight can be quite tough.

8 kilos of additional junk? Carry less!

> Therefore I was thinking of buying a weight vest to train both climbing (endurance) and running with some extra weight (5 kg max or so).

I certainly wouldn't run in one. If your issue is weight round your waist while trad climbing you could add ballast to your gear loops to train for that but I really wouldn't bother. Spend your indoor sessions getting better, fitter and stronger rather than learning to climb with a heavy harness. It's not like you'd be climbing a 15deg wall juggy wall covered in overlaps wih 8 kilos of shiny stuff outdoors anyway.

> What are your opinions and would you have an idea about a good quality/not too expensive vest?

I wouldn't suggest running with weight, it's hard enough on the body anyway.

jk
Post edited at 16:25
OP roelq 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

No hills where I come from. Not even bridges close by.
 Kassius 19 Feb 2014
In reply to roelq:

I brought a weight vest while doing crossfit it was excellent for conditioning I found I could do the same weight on exercises but with the additional 11kg vest on. Not good for long distance running though I trashed my right knee on a 13 miler. I have recently considered it for bouldering on easier problems to build strength although falling with the added weight is a major concern.
 Gus 03 Mar 2014
In reply to roelq:

Climbing with a weight vest or weight belt works well for breaking through a plateau that you may have hit with your climbing, but I'd only recommend it if you already have a good amount of training under your belt.

For you (at 58kg) I would say 5kg as an absolute maximum (you'll probably find 2,3 or 4kg enough!) the key is to pick a weight which doesn't stop you using small holds, or doing big powerful moves (these will feel really hard/weird during the first session!).

Take it steady as, as with any form of good, stressful training, the risk of injury will be higher.

You want a vest or belt that's as small, soft, and as comfortable as possible, I picked up a really nice neoprene 7lb weight belt from a martial arts store which is perfect! for about twenty quid.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...